The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i bought a 20 gallon long today, came with nothing, just the tank, couldnt beat the price for a brand new tank.

the dimensions are 30"L X 12 3/4" X 12

the substrate i am using is ADA Aquasoil, and i havent gotten into what i will use for ferts, i think i may try to buy a paintball co2 unit, as im tired of messing with my DIY unit.

does anyone have any suggestions that will work 100% for my 20 long project?

thanks guys/gals

·
Registered
106 Posts
I recently derimmed my 20L, slapped a planted+ and a paintball c02 setup and I have never been happier with plant growth. Not to mention the color of the light and the shimmer with mild surface agitation is just awesome.

Yeah it was a little expensive having moved from a used T5 dual bulb setup, but already worth it. You'll recoup a little bit (not much) in energy costs, but the big savings are the expected lifetime. Replacing bulbs over time definitely racks up costs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply!

so im a tad confused on which one to buy, you said you bought the planted+ which i just found, this is it correct?

Finnex AL-R30WM 30-Inch FugeRay Planted Aquarium LED Light Moonlights: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

and this is the first one i found

Finnex AL-H30DS 30-Inch Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

which one will serve me better for my 20L? i just want to make the right choice right off the bat, rather then make a purchase and find out 3 months later i could have went a different way and gotten a better unit!

·
Registered
215 Posts
thanks for the reply!

so im a tad confused on which one to buy, you said you bought the planted+ which i just found, this is it correct?

Finnex AL-R30WM 30-Inch FugeRay Planted Aquarium LED Light Moonlights: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

and this is the first one i found

Finnex AL-H30DS 30-Inch Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

which one will serve me better for my 20L? i just want to make the right choice right off the bat, rather then make a purchase and find out 3 months later i could have went a different way and gotten a better unit!
The ray2 puts out a bit more PAR than the planted plus, and none of the finnex lights are dimmable at all. With that shallow of a tank, you'll be solidly in the 'high light' range with the Ray2, which means algae problems if you don't have CO2 in the tank. The Planted plus is still plenty of light, but the Ray 2 would probably force you to go with pressurized CO2.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry guys dont mean to be pushy or anything but I need to make a decision by tonight 100% should I go with the ray 2 or the planted plus?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
go with the stronger one. If it's too much light you could always just raise it. But word of advice, don't jump directly into intense high light. It may not be what it seems because you'll have to keep everything in tip top shape. Personally I'd go with the planted + even if that puts you in medium-high range you can still grow plenty of things at the level.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts