The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of acquiring all that I need to set up my recently purchased 75gal aquarium.

It's 48"L x 18"W x 21"H

I'm going to be creating a West African drainage swamp, and using lots of anubias, driftwood, African water sprite, African water fern. I'll be starting off the cycle with hornwort, too.

Thing is, I'm totally confused. i want at least 2 watts per gallon. How is the best way to go about this? Give me your ideal lighting.

Thanks!

FF

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use 3 coral life t-5's. They come with 1 10K and an actinic. But the store I got them from let me swap all the actinic for 10K's. That comes out to like 2.25wpg. I am pleased with the results.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Unless you are wanting to grow a carpet of HC, gloss, pygmy chain sword, etc...then you do not need or want 220 watts + of lighting over a 75 gal. Don't get me wrong, I love a well light, high light tank. But, for what you are planing I think you could grow them under 2x65watt or the ideal would be 4x54 HO with one bulb removed. That way if you do want to grow some higher light stuff you could add back in the 4th bulb. ymmv

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I'm in the process of acquiring all that I need to set up my recently purchased 75gal aquarium.

It's 48"L x 18"W x 21"H

I'm going to be creating a West African drainage swamp, and using lots of anubias, driftwood, African water sprite, African water fern. I'll be starting off the cycle with hornwort, too.

Thing is, I'm totally confused. i want at least 2 watts per gallon. How is the best way to go about this? Give me your ideal lighting.

Thanks!

FF
Ideal lighting is T5, ditch PC's - they run hot, have a lot of restrike and are inefficient compared to T5 HO. T5 HO is essentially a linear PC bulb, but it runs cooler and has no restrike. A Tek-light 4x54W will be the best possible choice since it can grow high-light plants if you need to in the future. You can probably run 2x54W bulbs for 10 hours and then turn the other 2 bulbs on for 5 hours to provide balanced growth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What think I'm going to do is order the 4 x 55 bright kit from A H Supply, and then use only three bulbs. If I think it's too dark, I can put the other one in.

Thanks for everyone's knowledge and input!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.