The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to medium light it seems at best, so what do you guys reccommend in order to grow a carpet on my 75 gallon tank 48 x 18 x 21?

best option for 1 led fixture...?

best option for budget two light led fixture...?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
1 led would be a current satellite plus pro, 1(cheaper) or 2 for coverage would be a finnex planted plus, I have in on my 75gal low/med light in my signature
I pretty much agree with this for LED options.

For a low buck option, 4 of the 10" dome shop lights with 23w 6500K spiral CFLs will put out medium light, uniformly, across the entire tank. Total cost for this option: $60 including the fixtures, bulbs, and a power strip.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another budget option could be a 4 32w bulb 48" T8 shop light. I bought mine used for 20 bucks but it is available at home depot for around 40 and it fits perfectly over my 75 gallon. I used foil tape inside the hood for better light reflection. I was surprised that home depot carried t8 bulbs supposedly for plants and aquariums. I don't know the color temp but I picked a couple up for around 10 bucks each and a 2 pack of 6500k bulbs for around 8.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Reactions: Monrankim

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Reactions: Monrankim

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh wow. I didn't realize that the par would be that high. We are new to the Hobby obviously and I had spent most of my time researching various LEDs but ultimately got fed up and went the fluorescent route for now after watching some dustinsfishtanks videos on YouTube and decided to try it. I thought it would be low par at 18 inches to substrate. I got aggravated because every time I found a decently priced LED light that I thought would be good, I would read conflicting information on it being powerful enough or I would read bad reviews on Amazon saying that they're light stopped working after 6 months, not bright enough, ect... running the four bulbs might be too much without running CO2. My plan is to do it low-tech soil substrate tank. Thank you very much for the info.

What I'm setting my 75 with:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-L...nt-Heavy-Duty-Shop-Light-1284GRD-RE/202968125

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 led would be a current satellite plus pro, 1(cheaper) or 2 for coverage would be a finnex planted plus, I have in on my 75gal low/med light in my signature
so what I take away from this is that 1 satellite plus pro would give medium light, but not cover the whole tank...otherwise i should get 2 planted plus's to cover the whole tank for medium light?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was I quiting about the dome shop lights a d everything needed for that option. My LFS had the sat pro plus for 216 right now, the cheapest I've seen it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.