The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to grow some medium to high light plants and will add Co2 but I am unsure of the proper lights fixtures I was just going to build a fixture with a bunch of T8 fixtures but after reading maybe I should spend a little and do it right! The tank dimensions are 80 inches in length and 40 inches wide and 24 inches deep! Once I have substraint added it will be 2 inches deep in foreground to 4 inches deep in back!
Some areas of the tank I will diffuse the light with the use of lots of driftwood stretching out like tree roots so I could add low light plants in these areas!

But there are plants I like to include in my aqua scape that require more light!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well I tell you what I would do.

I would go to Homedepot or Lowes and look for hanging shop lights. You can either mount them in a canopy or hang them.

The whole t8 light scenario I really don't think will foot the bill except for very low light plants. T12's maybe.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't think you need high light. My experience has been that with a medium light level and CO2, all plants will grow very nicely, just a bit slower. This saves trouble of constant pruning, helps with GDA on the glass, and keeps the fish from getting sun tanned and needing sun glasses.

With that, 24 inches isn't really that deep. I know T5HO 4 lines of bulbs spaced over the 40 inches would be more then enough.

As for T8, I would think that you could use enough to get to a medium light level. It would be more bulbs and I don't know how many, my thought is possibly 14 - 16. I don't know how you would mount that many and make it look good. At this number, cost may be close the T5HO cost.

LED and PC work too. LED is expensive, PC is inefficient.

This post should help...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

According to it, T8 would be very low light at the substrate.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the replies! I am thinking T5HO is the way to go! Now to build a canopy that would look nice in my front room!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.