The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been keeping planted tanks for coming up on two years now with great success using 6500K CFL lights of various sizes. My problem has been that the stores in the aria have been slowly discontinuing them in favor of 'daylight' bulbs with a 5500K temp rating.

I'm very hesitant to switch since I've been doing so well with what I have, but I'm going to be needing new ones soon and can no longer find large ones. Can anyone tell me if these daylight 5500K bulbs will work as well as the 6500K ones I've been using?

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
A CFL manufaturer claimed that a 5500K is an excellent choice for planted tanks because it has a rich blue and red spectra (less green). It also says that the 6700K is a good choice giving the light effect of a late afternoon sunlight.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
A CFL manufaturer claimed that a 5500K is an excellent choice for planted tanks because it has a rich blue and red spectra (less green). It also says that the 6700K is a good choice giving the light effect of a late afternoon sunlight.
Note with less green in the spectrum it won't or may not have a high apparent brightness, because human visual sensitivity peaks at 555nm

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Best Light

Good morning black...

The 5500 K bulb is the same as natural daylight. I use the 6500 Ks too and get them at the local ACE hardware store. Specifically, look for the aquarium plant bulbs from GE. They're about $12.00 each for a 48 inch, T8 or T12 bulb.

B

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.