The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes to these higher end LED lights, I have no idea what the best ones are.

These will be for a 125 gallon tanks (6 feet long, 18" front to back, 24" tall, but will have 3" or more substrate depth).
Aiming for HIGH PAR at substrate (not medium high), so maybe at least in the ballpark of 80 PAR at sub (not too sure what counts as high PAR, so if 60 is for certain high PAR, then 60 is fine).

Will be high tech with plant growth as main focus, so high dissolved co2 levels (reactor) and full ferts, on revised EI dosing. Substrate will be Safe-T-Sorb (high CEC), so the substrate will be nutrient rich).

Currently using T5HO's, but want to switch over to LED's.

The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 has me interested especially since it's on sale and cheaper than the Fluval.
Was looking at the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 Full Spectrum LED's, but I'm not sure what other contenders there are and how they stack up against each other.

So let me know what's what and how many fixtures you would think I would need (and what sizes) for this 125 gallon tank dimensions.
Not sure on the budget, but would depend on price for performance ratio.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'd consider a set of BMLs. Who cares if they don't make "aquarium" lights anymore, this is still probably one of your best options. IP66 waterproofing and they are dimmable.

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/led-light-bar-solar-max-spectrum/

I'd already have one of these fixtures for my new tank if they were available in custom lengths. They do make a 72" length though and the PAR figures are astounding.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@goodbytes
Oh, BML still sells lights!? Thought they completely stopped any sort of production.
That link says they don't sell online though.
If they do still sell, is there any real difference between these horticulture lights and their discontinued aquarium lights? Water exposure issues (though I will be using glass tops)?

I don't mind using varying length fixtures. There are 2 front-to-back braces over the 72" inch length span. Doesn't have to be a 72" fixture if that size makes cost to performance more pricey than buying smaller "more commonly" produced sizes.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah that is the question--how to get your hands on a set. I don't believe that if you called them to order some they would refuse to take your money. I was going to give them a call but then I noticed the sizes are preset and they won't build custom sizes for my 30" long tank. It says they are "sprayproof" as they are meant to be used in moist environments like growhouses and laboratory growth cabinets. In the IP66 classification they're given, the first 6 indicates that the fixture is "dust tight" completely preventing the ingress of dust particles while the second 6 indicates that the fixture is immune to "powerful water jets" from all directions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

If you were the first person through the breach on this one, I'd imagine there are other people that would be interested to know what you found out.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well I have both the 24/7 and the new Fluval and if it were me I'd go with the Fluval. I feel it gives better color rendition and it's definitely more powerful. The problem I see for you is, it doesn't look like it comes in a 72" fixture. I guess you could run 2 36" fixtures but I don't think you will get the spread you need even with the 120 degree beam angle. If that's the case then you would need 4 fixtures, crazy.

Attached is par data taken from Drs Foster and Smiths website.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
a good thing to factor is what budget do you have?

I have the exact same tank and I'm running into the same problem. I want to make it high light but not sure on what lights to buy.

I might end up making my own LEDs since they'll be cheaper however the premade LEDs strips are very sleek and look very nice on top of the tank.

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Go outside the box for these larger tanks..
DSunY...............................
72inch FP-C9-2(item# 331656539373) (non-wifi) FW-C9-2(item# 331656548530) (wifi version)
Starts at $400. Not exactly HIGH light but better than most
The new Reefbreeders v2 is also a possibility and they will custom it to fw..
Last is the plain jane
72" EVO Quad LED Light System Plant Version by Green Element
ncludes 96 LEDs
13000 Lumen
3 watt LEDs
96x 6500K
Timer ready. Fixture pre-wired for add on timer module
Timer module is not included
2x pre-wired connections for timer modules
2x two mode on/off switch
Mode 1 turns on all LEDs
Mode 2 turns on a selective few LEDs for night vision
Timer module can program Mode 1 and Mode 2 independently
External LED drivers
Extendable wire brackets

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm choosing a best planted aquarium LED lighting for my 20 gallon planted tank. I decide to choose Finnex Planted+. I don't know if it is the right choice for high light plants?
I have that on my 20g. I recall reading that the par at the substrate level (12" from the light) was 60. So, that would be high end of medium, low end of high? :confused:

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
Hey, Just curious what you ended up with for your tank? I just picked up the 125gal from Petsmart myself, and am trying to figure which route to go for lighting.
Old Thread.. Pre- Radion ver 4..

"The best" LED lighting would currently be as many Radion xr15 Gen4's that you can fit.. The best is the most expensive..
There are a few other "super lights" but this is the most overall my favorite..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.