The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did something really stupid and I really should have known better. :(

I got 5 neon blue rasboras and 2 sparkling gourami.

Unfortunately I did not make sure they were feeding at the store.

Now I have tried to feed them frozen blood worms, omega one first flakes, spectrum small fish food, live blood worms, Aquino flakes, omega one trip flake.

The rasboras kinda of nibble at these offerings, but are not really eating it up with any kind of gusto. The sparkling gouramis show a minimal amount of interest in the live blood worms.

The fish store says the were feeding them wardly flakes. Which they gave me a free sample of. They chastised me for using omega one stating its just corn meal. So the rasboras seem a little more interested in the wardly flake, but still do not show any kind of zeal when they feed and despite being very conservative with how much I throw in the tank, and despite turning off the circulation pump.

Also the tank is cycled 0 amm, 0 nit, maybe 5 nitr

Has taken a month to cycle using fish less cycling.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Nothing can resist Blood worms in my opinion, even my most Finiky eater will eat frozen blood worms like a pig, if thats not working then it might be an issue with the fish itself.

The only other thing i can think of would be Pellets as opposed to flakes or anything else you are offering

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing can resist Blood worms in my opinion, even my most Finiky eater will eat frozen blood worms like a pig, if thats not working then it might be an issue with the fish itself.

The only other thing i can think of would be Pellets as opposed to flakes or anything else you are offering
Yeah I have tried the spectrum pellets maybe I will need to do another kind of pellet.

The rasoboras wont go anywhere near the blood worms, whereas the gouramis at least follow it around like its interesting even put it in their mouth, then spit it back out like its too much or not what they want.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The rasboras are small fish and they could be eating the flakes and such and you jsut arent noticing it because they eat such little amounts. The gouramis on the other hand might not be eating food right away and eating it later on by picking it out of the substrate.

How long have you had the fish? if it has been over a week or so i would assume their eating and you just arent really seeing it

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rasboras are small fish and they could be eating the flakes and such and you jsut arent noticing it because they eat such little amounts. The gouramis on the other hand might not be eating food right away and eating it later on by picking it out of the substrate.

How long have you had the fish? if it has been over a week or so i would assume their eating and you just arent really seeing it
I got the fish on the 6th. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Omega One is NOT corn meal. It is good food. Whole fish and shellfish, algae, other good foods. Wardley is the junk food, IMO. Fish meal and grain. Maybe it has changed since I last read the label, which was many many moons ago.
Oh well.

Try soaking any of the dry foods in garlic. Smash a clove on a plate (not wooden cutting board) and sprinkle the food in the juice. You can feed the garlic as well as the food, if you want.

The next thing to try is to worm the fish. Maybe they have some internal parasites. Not enough to show the pot belly, or white poop, but enough to give them a poor appetite.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Omega One is NOT corn meal. It is good food. Whole fish and shellfish, algae, other good foods. Wardley is the junk food, IMO. Fish meal and grain. Maybe it has changed since I last read the label, which was many many moons ago.
Oh well.

Try soaking any of the dry foods in garlic. Smash a clove on a plate (not wooden cutting board) and sprinkle the food in the juice. You can feed the garlic as well as the food, if you want.

The next thing to try is to worm the fish. Maybe they have some internal parasites. Not enough to show the pot belly, or white poop, but enough to give them a poor appetite.
Before I read your reply tonight, I actually checked the label and it does not say anything about corn. It shows a whole lot of seafood! :)

This Aquarium store guy is kind of a nazi lol (maybe even literally). :) :tongue:

I will give your suggestions a shot and hope for the best. Thanks btw! Your the best!

I have noticed that the rasboras seem more interested in the flakes now of all types.

Here is a question would you say I am at my fish load with these fish?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your fish prefer to be closer to 80F I would raise your tank heater or invest in a quality heater if you don't have one. If its around 75F it can get colder overnite if you dont have a heater running.
It does have a quality heater, I just keep it in the mid 70s for the plants, but I can crank it up if you think it will help.

Incidentally I shook Tom baker's hand when I was 8 years old lol! :p

I grew up in a family that put on Science Fiction conventions in Southern California. He was a guest one year. Aside from the new Doctor's he remains my fav.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Thumbs Way UP!

:thumbsup:
It does have a quality heater, I just keep it in the mid 70s for the plants, but I can crank it up if you think it will help.

Incidentally I shook Tom baker's hand when I was 8 years old lol! :p

I grew up in a family that put on Science Fiction conventions in Southern California. He was a guest one year. Aside from the new Doctor's he remains my fav.
:thumbsup:

You Lucky Pup! I grew up watching Tom Baker Docotor Who as a boy, If I were to meet him then I whould of launched myself into space with the rush of excitement & gratitude :)

He was the 1st Doctor I watched and allso my favorite of the 11 versions of the DOCTOR.

Oh yes this is a fish forum Lol! I believe your fish will develop more appetite and activity if you raise the temp up.

Try 79F

Hey the DOCTOR WHO 50th aniversary is coming next year, I can't wait to see WHO makes an appearance.

TB said he was game:bounce:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.