The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best shrimp food i can get in america!?
i like to breed hundreds in multiple tanks
so i want it to be a lot , price dont matter.
i use ADAs shrimp food but it runs out too fast
if i just feed tetra min flakes , shrimps grow too slow , and it dont show me its best color

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
You can get almost any shrimp food in America. Shirakura, azoo, borneowild, mosura, ebitabreed, shrimplab, etc. I think the most economical would probably be shirakura ebi dama, its like 20 bucks for 80 grams. Not bad!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think the best is a variety of everything really. I use some Mosara products, algae wafer, fresh zuchini, sinking frog pellets, sink tetra pellets, fluval shrimp food and mix it up all the time. Same with my turtles, same with my dog.

·
Registered
215 Posts
i seconded gotochkn. best food is a varity of food choices, both fresh and prepared. u can do it alternatively if that's the easier way for u.

disvegas,

I think the best is a variety of everything really. I use some Mosara products, algae wafer, fresh zuchini, sinking frog pellets, sink tetra pellets, fluval shrimp food and mix it up all the time. Same with my turtles, same with my dog.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Lol, I do! Those are more foods in the bottles on the side. I even picked up a bunch of different foods when I was in Japan last time. They still like the food I make the most though! Well, actually it might be a tie between that Japanese food called "fulvic" and invertebites. But fresh spinach or kale and pumpkin or squash is their favorite fresh food.

Regardless, my shrimp are the most unpicky eaters because they get such a variety.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
In my experience sinking fish foods break apart quickly once they are in the water where the shrimp foods tend to hold their form. This is helps prevent the food from disintegrating and falling into the gravel and polluting the water.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Also some shrimp foods contain shrimp specific ingredients such as chitosan, microorganisms, chlorella, calcium, spinach, etc.

Most sinking fish foods are also extremely high in fish meal, and shrimp should have a mostly vegetable diet.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Hikari #1 ingredient is fish meal and 35% minimum protein. With things like alfalfa, soybeans and corn towards the top of the list. I used it for a while but with my cheap RCS and don't think it matters much.

I might feel differently if I was keeping $50.00 shrimp. Actually everyone around me would feel different about me if I was keeping $50.00 shrimp, especially my wife. lol

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
The Hikari #1 ingredient is fish meal and 35% minimum protein. With things like alfalfa, soybeans and corn towards the top of the list. I used it for a while but with my cheap RCS and don't think it matters much.

I might feel differently if I was keeping $50.00 shrimp. Actually everyone around me would feel different about me if I was keeping $50.00 shrimp, especially my wife. lol

Here another way to look at it. Your $50.00 shrimp if successfully kept can easily become $1000.00 worth of shrimps. If you do it right and get them to breed you'll easily recoup your investment back. Same thing with cheaper shrimps, however with the same amount of work the might as well have a higher value end result. It just takes a little more attention to detail and the proper set up for the higher grades of shrimps.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Here another way to look at it. Your $50.00 shrimp if successfully kept can easily become $1000.00 worth of shrimps.
I don't need to ruin another perfectly good hobby by making it a business. lol

I give away more than I could imagine selling but then I have no interest in shipping them. Took at least 50 from my 60g to a local LFS Friday in a fast food cup in trade for some pellet food and worms. lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.