The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a question. I have an Electrical Blue Acara, 2 German Blue Rams and 2 Upside down catfish. I also have a Blue Eyed Albino Bristlenose Pleco and a Rubber Lip Pleco in a 55. But I was wondering what is an Ideal food that everyone would like? I know the Plecos can eat the wafers but about my other fish. Is there a food that they can all eat or do I have to buy different foods separately? I think I’d prefer pellets but I still want opinions on brand and types of food would be best? And I’d like something that could help my rams and acara color up. Right now they’re all like an inch big. The acara is like maybe 1 or 1.5 inches long or maybe 2 not sure but they are small. Also, my Plecos don’t seem to pay attention to the wafers. I have 2 pieces of Mopani wood and the Bristlenose likes it but the rubber is always on the glass, during night time the BN does come out to the glass, the tank has a decent amount of algae in the glass but I don’t think that’s enough for their diet. And when I do drop the wafers my other fish goes for it and I’ve tried cucumbers but nothing .

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
As pleco get older they start liking more protein based foods. Most cichlid and omnivore foods should work with your stock list. You could try small slow sinking cichlid pellets for your surface/ column feeders and a larger sinking cichlid/ catfish food for your pleco. Mix it up with some omnivore frozen food and some bloodworm, shrimp and daphnia treats. Just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I always feed a mixture of different foods : flake, pellets, and discs because in a mixed freshwater community aquarium fish feed in different zones and have differing ability to reach that food before another fish takes it up.

My African Congo tetras would eat all the food before it got to my discus, altums, geophagus, corydoras, and various catfish if I didnt feed pellets and discs as well. The geophagus would eat all the pellets if I didnt feed discs that the corydoras and catfish could nibble at for an extended time.
You need to think of the zones the fish eat in and feed accordingly as well as the speed in which the fish eat.

IN your tank, I would also feed flake, pellets, and discs ( algae wafers). Of course, be careful of the amounts you feed. Also, it is much better to feed in 2 feedings what you would feed in 1.
I like New Life Spectrum brand foods.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, plecos do eat a lot of protein with all the algae and wood they graze on. Diatoms, biofilm, and algae actually contain microorganisms with a decent amount of calcium and protein, so if you have a lot of it, you have a lot of pleco food. If you want to have a constant supply of food available, I would introduce some Indian almond or Capaca leaves and let them decay near the driftwood.

I use New Life Spectrum foods for gourami and betta tanks (and pretty much all my fish). They definitely are a step above most flake foods, and they're small pellets so they sink after a while. You could feed both surface and bottom feeders with them.

Frozen bloodworms will sink, and everything loves them, but they are pricey to keep buying, so I feed those maybe twice a week.

Blanched peas and cucumbers/zucchini seem to work as well, but could cloud up your water if uneaten.

And as previously mentioned, if you do multiple smaller feedings, there is a better chance for all fish to get some food.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It's sounding like you want Repashy gel food. Something like community plus, along with soilent green would work well. My otos love soilent green, and my pygmy cory cats do well on spawn and grow.

Aside from that, there's no one staple diet that I recommend for your tank. I've branched a bit too far out to remember what the typical pellet foods, but I remember NLS being pretty good 5 years ago. Any commercial cichlid diet would work.

For treats: bloodworms. And for coloring up: something high in astaxanthin and other carotenoids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.