The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 75 gallon heavily planted low stocked tank. Exactly opposite of what I used to have. I'm looking for fish that will eat the plants and keep growth under control. I know I could just trim the plants, but I don't want to loose my snails.

Current list of occupants...
1 big goldfish
2 Buenos Aires tetras
2 Chinese algae eaters
3 true Siamese algae eaters
2 flying fox (thought they were sae's)
2 fish I can't remember
3 Cory cats
3 Otto cats
Mystery snails
Rams horn snails
Nerite snails
Pond snails
(Numbers may vary)

Plants include...
Pothos
2 Anubias nana
3 different types of sword plants
A $h!t tone of hornwort
A $h!t tone of micro chain sword
A $h!t tone of chain sword
Various types of algae of course

Equipment includes...
2 Aquaclear 110s with only Polyfil
Co2 injection
Fluval plant 3.0 light

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
i'm surprised your goldfish hasn't gobbled up your hornwort. i don't know of any fish that would eat swords and anubias. large cichlids would tear up the leaves and uproot most of your plants. not sure how you would lose snails by trimming. roll up your sleeves and get your arms wet. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm surprised your goldfish hasn't gobbled up your hornwort. i don't know of any fish that would eat swords and anubias. large cichlids would tear up the leaves and uproot most of your plants. not sure how you would lose snails by trimming. roll up your sleeves and get your arms wet. <a href="http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_wink.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink" >:)</a>
I'm only looking for control of the hornwort and chain swords. My snails are all over the grass blades and I don't want to loose any. My goals for my tanks are to try and strike a natural balance. I would rather have fish eat the plants and control growth rather than just trim and throw it away. I know it can be a delicate balance that could swing the wrong way but it's were I would like to start.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm only looking for control of the hornwort and chain swords. My snails are all over the grass blades and I don't want to loose any. My goals for my tanks are to try and strike a natural balance. I would rather have fish eat the plants and control growth rather than just trim and throw it away. I know it can be a delicate balance that could swing the wrong way but it's were I would like to start.
cut back feeding your goldfish and it will take control of the hornwort. as for the chain swords, pull up one and you'll get 5+. after or before pulling plants, knock off the snails they aren't attached by super glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.