The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've always used New Life Spectrum over the years, but I mixed it with other foods to provide the "balance" that everyone talks about.

Over the last year, I've used NLS exclusively and haven't noticed any difference than when I was supplementing other foods as well.

Bang for the buck and ease of use goes to NLS. I like that it has a wide range of ingredients in it as well. That is all I use now and everyone of my fish is healthy and has great color. My rams won't stop breeding LOL.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I use nls with most everything I keep (cichlids, plecos, tetras). Everybody loves it. And that's the main staple. I also mix in some algae wafers, veggies, frozen foods, live and freeze dried blackworms and soon to be microforms (just got a culture today). I can't foresee changing from nls at this time with any of my fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
That stuff on the website looks good, new life spectrum is good too. Don't buy into the hype though that feed X is bad because it contains grains, or because it has plant protein. Fish have amino acid requirements, not protein requirements, and believe it or not seafood based ingredients can be deficient in particular amino acids as well. Oh and yes you need to use things like flour as a binder. Particularly for pellets, think of it as a dough, that is cooked as it's extruded, fail to use binders, and you get lots of fines, and your stability in water is poor..

Since we don't really know the nutritional requirements of most of these species, your best bet is a diverse diet. It's good to have a go to staple that your fish accept and is convenient. Try to mix in some frozen or freeze dried foods that they will accept. Heck if it rains pick up an earth worm and chop it up. If they are herbivorous get them some veggies now and then. You could even get a daphnia/moina culture or black worm culture going to treat them to some live prey.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
That stuff on the website looks good, new life spectrum is good too. Don't buy into the hype though that feed X is bad because it contains grains, or because it has plant protein. Fish have amino acid requirements, not protein requirements, and believe it or not seafood based ingredients can be deficient in particular amino acids as well. Oh and yes you need to use things like flour as a binder. Particularly for pellets, think of it as a dough, that is cooked as it's extruded, fail to use binders, and you get lots of fines, and your stability in water is poor..

Since we don't really know the nutritional requirements of most of these species, your best bet is a diverse diet. It's good to have a go to staple that your fish accept and is convenient. Try to mix in some frozen or freeze dried foods that they will accept. Heck if it rains pick up an earth worm and chop it up. If they are herbivorous get them some veggies now and then. You could even get a daphnia/moina culture or black worm culture going to treat them to some live prey.
+1. I couldn't agree more. Diversity in diet is very important!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.