The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best filters for a 10 gallon tank with shrimp? Canister filter?

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would suggest a canister filter, they are extremely good at filtration, easy to clean etc. Just make sure you have one of those shrimp guards on the intake so they don't get vacuumed into the filter (although most shrimp go on their own free will).

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi sfshrimp,

You can certainly go with a canister filter with a sponge filter on the intake; but small canister filters are sort of expensive and don't usually have a lot of media so they need to be cleaned often. For my 10 gallon I use a Aquaclear 20, they typically sell for about $25 new. They do about 100gph and are adjustable to slower rates if needed.

I like them for five reasons:
1) The media is stacked horizontally which allows it to hold DIY CO2 bubbles fed into the intake;
2) I use two sponges for maximum bio-filtration
3) Most parts including intakes, impellers, shafts, along with media are available at most LFS
4) US based customer service with a toll free number to call and I've used it a few times and it works!
5) A lifetime warranty

Warranty
The AquaClear Power Filters are guaranteed against defects in material or workmanship under normal aquarium usages and service for as long as you own the filter. We offer a Lifetime Guarantee on all non-replaceable parts which means that the filter will be repaired or replaced at the manufactures discretion, free of charge, when the complete pump is returned with proof of purchase and postage paid. Please include $5.00 to cover shipping and handling. This warranty does not apply to any filter that has been subjected to misuse, negligence or tampering. No liability is assumed with respect to loss or damage to livestock or personal property irrespective of the cause thereof.
And for shrimps don't forget a sponge on the input tube strainer.

10 gallon with Aquaclear 20 HOB filter

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi sfshrimp,

You can certainly go with a canister filter with a sponge filter on the intake; but small canister filters are sort of expensive and don't usually have a lot of media so they need to be cleaned often. For my 10 gallon I use a Aquaclear 20, they typically sell for about $25 new. They do about 100gph and are adjustable to slower rates if needed.

I like them for five reasons:
1) The media is stacked horizontally which allows it to hold DIY CO2 bubbles fed into the intake;
2) I use two sponges for maximum bio-filtration
3) Most parts including intakes, impellers, shafts, along with media are available at most LFS
4) US based customer service with a toll free number to call and I've used it a few times and it works!
5) A lifetime warranty

And for shrimps don't forget a sponge on the input tube strainer.

10 gallon with Aquaclear 20 HOB filter

I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with my aqua clear filters. Technically they're Fluval Edge but really just aqua clear rebranded. I've had them up and running for almost 7 years. I just had to replace a $4,000 fridge that didn't last as long. I've had almost no problem with them and they're super quiet.

One question for Seattle aquarist: if you are attempting maximum bio filtration why double up on the sponge filter media instead of the ceramic node packs? Do you believe the sponges facultate the beneficial bacteria better than the ceramic?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Go with a canister if you want to remove all the equipment from the tank. If you don't care that all the other equipment is in the tank (co2, heater) then get a hob filter. Aquaclear is preferred but I just setup a ten gallon shrimp tank and just threw my old penguin 100 (replaced all the media) in it and it's doing great.

And definitely use a pre filter if you are going to have breeding shrimp.

like this:

Attachments

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
filter

I think the equipment in the tank is something we are trying to minimize. My buddy is going to buy a 10 gallon ADA tank so we are trying to figure out what we could do to not take away from the aesthetic, which is why a canister might be good. I'm trying to get him to buy the ada canister but it's really expensive (upper $400 range).

Go with a canister if you want to remove all the equipment from the tank. If you don't care that all the other equipment is in the tank (co2, heater) then get a hob filter. Aquaclear is preferred but I just setup a ten gallon shrimp tank and just threw my old penguin 100 (replaced all the media) in it and it's doing great.

like this:

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
I have to say that I am incredibly pleased with my aqua clear filters. Technically they're Fluval Edge but really just aqua clear rebranded. I've had them up and running for almost 7 years. I just had to replace a $4,000 fridge that didn't last as long. I've had almost no problem with them and they're super quiet.

One question for Seattle aquarist: if you are attempting maximum bio filtration why double up on the sponge filter media instead of the ceramic node packs? Do you believe the sponges facultate the beneficial bacteria better than the ceramic?
Hi Pattern8,

My oldest Aquarclear was vintage 1983 and was replaced two years ago.

I just use sponges because they are easier to clean. I use ceramic in my canister filters along with sponges.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thank you

What models would you recommend? The canister will not be visible, so I'm mainly thinking about performance as cool as the ADA stove pipe looks like.

I wouldn't recommend buying the ADA superjets. They do look spectacular, but there are much MUCH cheaper alternatives. I would look at the Eheim canisters or the Fluvals.
Don't be afraid to go for a bigger canister for a smaller tank (within reason).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think the equipment in the tank is something we are trying to minimize. My buddy is going to buy a 10 gallon ADA tank so we are trying to figure out what we could do to not take away from the aesthetic, which is why a canister might be good. I'm trying to get him to buy the ada canister but it's really expensive (upper $400 range).

like this:
$400+ to filter a 10 gallon? Wowza. I would go with a smaller Eheim classic with glass Lilly pipe inflow and outflow. Eheims also have the sizes you want for inline heater and diffuser options made by pretty much everyone for very reasonable prices.

But hey rock on with the Ada one if that's happens. Post some pics of that for sure.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not really a sensical choice, but we are talking about guys that have the best stuff and serious about plant growth, so it's neither here nor there. I'll probably have him not do that and invest more in other things like the stock and plants, etc. We might even drill a private acquifer in his backyard just for the fish tank.

$400+ to filter a 10 gallon? Wowza. I would go with a smaller Eheim classic with glass Lilly pipe inflow and outflow. Eheims also have the sizes you want for inline heater and diffuser options made by pretty much everyone for very reasonable prices.

But hey rock on with the Ada one if that's happens. Post some pics of that for sure.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Filters are filters. At the end of the day they sorta do the same thing and it's better to focus on lighting, nutrients and maintenance in order to have a really good tank with healthy plants. I would save money to get all the nice glassware like lily pipes, because they will be visible unlike the filter.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing is, there is a sale here and it comes with the lilly pipes, and the beautiful tea kettle...

Filters are filters. At the end of the day they sorta do the same thing and it's better to focus on lighting, nutrients and maintenance in order to have a really good tank with healthy plants. I would save money to get all the nice glassware like lily pipes, because they will be visible unlike the filter.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The local LFS are all bad with the exception of the one ADA dealer in San Francisco. The other LFS tanks are horrendous, so if the guy wants to spend a G why not? My friend spends this much money on one meal here.... He wants to hire a truck with an auger just to drilll under bedrock for his fish if that's any indication of how serious it is.

I know how irresistble that can be, but you must perservere! See what other options your LFS has, and if any are on sale that's the best way to start your search.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The local LFS are all bad with the exception of the one ADA dealer in San Francisco. The other LFS tanks are horrendous, so if the guy wants to spend a G why not? My friend spends this much money on one meal here.... He wants to hire a truck with an auger just to drilll under bedrock for his fish if that's any indication of how serious it is.

Yeah it's up to him in the end if he wants to do it he should just go ahead.

·
Registered
975 Posts

I know how irresistble that can be, but you must perservere! See what other options your LFS has, and if any are on sale that's the best way to start your search.

Tell them to ddooooo it and post pics so we can live vicariously through them lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.