The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently put together a planted 10 gallon, being that it's only my second attempt, I think its going pretty well. However, I got these little floating ferns and my filter keeps pushing them to the bottom. It's a normal topfin for 10 gallons (came in the kit) and I'm definitely not it's biggest fan right now. I do have a second fully submersible filter running in the tank as well (it's heavily populated) and while it doesn't pull my plants down, I'm worried a second one of those would cause too much turbulence in the water for my Giant Betta and Tetras (even with its flow bar pointed at the wall of the tank.) Any suggestions on a good, low flow, high filtration set up would be super helpful. Thanks a ton ❤

·
Registered
239 Posts
You don’t need 2 filters for a tank, I used to have that kit and the light dosent grow plants but the filter works perfectly fine, you can get a block of styrofoam and put it where the water lands and it will not hurt floaters. I was an idiot and had a betta 6 swordtails and 6 cories in a 10 gallon which is pretty overstocked. It was walstad method eventually and I had 0 nitrate

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a fluval aquasky 2 for the lighting (I love the sunrise and sunset feature), I was actually thinking a second one of those might be good, I feel like the bottom back part of the tank may be lacking a little in the light department, but I also don't want to over do it. Says it's a low-medium light, would a second one be too much?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Most of my tanks with floaters tended to have low flow internal filters or canisters with a spray bar pointed down. You can also corral floaters using hardscape or airline tubing away from the turbulent areas. If you keep those to quieter spots in your tank your betta should stay happy. You would most likely be fine with the single filter, just keep an eye on parameters when you remove the other one and be prepared for a minicycle (may very well not happen at all, but just be prepared). What does your plants list look like. I'd say if your tank is doing ok without it it's not worth the risk of an algae bloom by adding a second light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The hang on back filter has a normal activated carbon filter, and a fluval nitrite remover pad, but the other filter has the fluval biomax rings, an ammonia remover media, and some crushed coral, and I honestly think they're all kind of necessary. This is a heavily populated tank, and I'm worried the nitrates and nitrites would swing without the extra filtration. I also set it up rather quickly, and used a bacteria starter, so I'm worried removing one or the other right now might hurt my fish. It's been running about 3 weeks at this point.

I've been testing the water daily with strips, and weekly with APIs master freshwater kit to monitor any swings. And sometimes the Ph and Kh seem a little low, I have an Ph Kh increase, but I use it sparingly because I know those alterations can be risky.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
How many tetra do you have? Do you over feed? I'd be seeding some sponges... You'll find that a lot of people stick with sponges, filter or polyfloss, and/ or purigen. I run just sponges and polyfloss- my low tech 40b is heavily stocked and that's all I run on them with no parameter issues even with rotting driftwood. I don't think you're going to need as many forms of media as you think you do to be successful, the key is patience and cycling. You're most likely still building up bb at 3 weeks. Did you fish in cycle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5 tetra, plus a sailfin pleco and a loach. I don't understand your question though. Did I add fish before "cycling" the tank, yes. I thought that was what the bacteria starters were for, or that's how they advertise. I did have the tank running with added bacteria for a few days before adding fish. I planted and decorated before their arrival too

We do have bigger tanks for if the pleco or loach outgrow the small place they have now. A 36 and a 65 gallon

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Do you know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Starter bacteria is really not going to instantly cycle your tank, just makes it less lethal. You will still need to track your levels through the process. Fish in is a lot trickier. You're going to need to do a lot of tracking and water changes in the beginning. I would start fishless cycling one of your other tanks now. Pointers for this- get ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests. Ammonia shouldn't go above 5, nitrites with fish in need to be lower as nitrite is pretty harmful to fish (read deadly)- if your fish are spastically swimming up and down the glass you're in trouble. Try to keep it between 1 and 5, it's really hard on the fish. Nitrates are next, keep below 60 (I use 40 but I'm pretty sure anything under 60 is fine). Bottled bacteria can help, as can binders (marketed as removers) but they are not a replacement for doing water changes. The removers will lose their effect after a couple days. With a fishless cycle ammonia to 5, nitrite to 5 and nitrate still below 60. Fishless cycling is more forgiving, just don't go too far out of spec or you risk losing the bb you've built up. Good luck!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been checking the water at least twice daily with a 6 in 1 strip, and do a water change if anything is in the danger zone, I also got the API master Test kit to look further into any questionable readings from the strips. My Kh and Ph has dropped a couple of times, but adding crushed coral has helped that. There's some in the filter and I've sprinkled some over the substrate too. But the test I did this evening showed zero for nitrate and nitrite.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use a liquid C0² for the plants, as directed.
It drops to just inbetween zero and the lowest acceptable level according to the test strips. I do have some Ph/Kh increase stuff, but I don't like to use it a ton. So far, a little more crushed coral has helped. I did top off the tank with treated tap, but only because I did an extra change last week because we wound up moving the tank to a more sturdy stand, and I had already changed it once that week. I thought another change would be worse than just a small top off. Maybe I was wrong?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.