The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone would be willing to recommend their favorite drop checker. I'm looking for one for both (and most urgently) my 10 gallon setup, and a 40 breeder.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I simply pay attention to the tanks, if the plants are pearling like crazy and the fish aren't gasping then I leave it alone. Trashed my dc months ago. I had a cheap ebay one.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Look on Ebay and search for co2 drop checker. You can get them from Hong Kong for about 8 bucks. You just have to make 4 Kdh water, don't use tank water like the instructions say. Or you can buy one from Greenleaf Aquariums and it will include 4 KDH water. There are threads in this forum that go in depth to explain why you should use 4 KDH water, better than I can explain probably.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Some of the drop checkers have crappy suction cups. They limp out and then they will not stick to the side of the aquarium even if you clean the surface well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ones on ebay from overseas seem a bit sketchy. The price is definitely right though. Just not fond of ~2.5 weeks to receive an item, possible added customs charges, etc.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Some of the drop checkers have crappy suction cups. They limp out and then they will not stick to the side of the aquarium even if you clean to surface well.
Haven't had a problem with the ones from AquaticMagic, yet. Nor with the CalAqua from GL. Both work equally well for me.

What I do have problems with are the crappy Eheim suction cups. Great filters but crap~olla peripherals. Don't get me started.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I really like my CalAqua drop checkers. They are more pricier then the ebay specials but you wont feel that is you look at it wrong it will break. As I stated in my post about my "oracle" drop checker I feel confident I could knock someone out with it and it would still be intact.

I have a CalAqua 'nano" for my 5.5g mini-m and a CalAqua "oracle" form my 37g tank.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought a Cal Aqua "Oracle" from GLA. It seemed like a lot of money for a simple device, but it is very well made and comes with the solution. It works great so why chance some eBay auction to save a few bucks?

·
Super Moderator
11,949 Posts
I bought several glass drop checkers off "Goldfish street" (they have tropical fish there too) while I was in HK. I also bought some glass diffusers while there, and everything works fine.

Before the glass ones, I had my own DIY drop checker made from glass containers with screw on caps, etc.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I like the cheap plastic red sea ones. They are easy to open and change the solution. They are easy enough to hide regardless of what you get.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i've had the cheap ebay ones from HK before and it worked and no problems with the suction cup. today i just got the Cal Aqua nano for my 5.5 and i was surprised how small it was (really really unobtrusive) and loved how well made it felt in my hand. i'm in a long build process for a 40 gallon and will probably use the Cal Aqua Oracle to test it out and because so far i really like the nano. ether way i think for drop checkers it all maters on how you like the look of it in the tank and how much money you want to spend on it.

(for any one who know is the solution in the bottle that Cal aqua includes with the nano the all in one mix for indicator solution? thanks)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
(for any one who know is the solution in the bottle that Cal aqua includes with the nano the all in one mix for indicator solution? thanks)
Yes, the bottle that comes with the Cal-Aqua checkers is a stand-alone solution.

I bought a cheapy, Ebay drop checker a few years ago and it works just fine. I just purchased the Cal-Aqua nano a few weeks ago for my Mini-L and it seems well made and is nice and compact, perfect for smaller tanks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really appreciate all the responses. I'm honestly very torn at the moment. If cost wasn't a factor, I REALLY love the dual chamber one from GLA (although its out of stock...), but its hard to justify $40 for a drop checker for me right now.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The dual chamber helped me get started but now that I have an eye for what I'm looking for it just makes it take a little more space. Knowing that now I still think it was a good idea for me to start with it. In other words, no regrets.

SteveU

1 - 20 of 31 Posts