The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering wat are the best conditions for growing hair grass is... what do they need and like to sped well and grow well

thanks
craig

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Also a small grain substrate is a must. they don't root very deep so if you have large grain substrate (flourite) they will have trouble spreading and keeping rooted.They will still grow out fine. you will just find yourself pulling small bushes sometimes and having to manually plant them. eco complete or small grain ADA or even SMS would be best if you plan on having a carpet of small plants. IMO

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it will do fine in room tempreture. I believe its native to North America so as long as your house isn't to cold it should do fine. Mine actually handled a temporary heat of over 95 degrees I find it to be a rather durable plant.

I am not sure its optimum conditions but the more light, co2, and ferts seem to help just about every plant.:)

I can attest to soilmaster select growing the stuff. Also play sand. I can't speak for any other substrate because I haven't grown it in any other substrate.

Here some pics of my tank with lots of dwarf hairgrass:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/photo-album/42934-60g-beginner-iwagumi.html

This went through a lot of problems with this tank and the hair grass did fine.

Good luck with the hairgrass I really like this plant and I think you will too.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I don't know about hair grass, but if you are plan on using
Eleocharis parvula as your grass foreground, you need a LOT
of patience, and a substrate that cannot be disturbed at all.
in my 4wpg, eco-complete, DIY-Co2 tank it looks healthy,
but grows and spreads slower than anything else in my tank.
if it was not so fine & beautiful, I would have given up on it.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
It's SLOWLY spreading in my tank w/ ADA AS, pressurized CO2, and ~5 WPG. Like spypet said, it pretty much has to be undisturbed. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is very true. I haven't disturbed the substrate... ever. I haven't moved any hairgrass on purpose since that tank was started. Mine actually spread faster than the E. tennellus but my E tenellus might just be slow.:)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that tank looks amazing slickwillislim... im trying it in a 5 gallon right now with 36 watts of PC light and flora base... im doing DIY co2 with a 2l bottle as i am not planing on puting any live stock in the tank.. and im useing the standard Dry ferts... so just hopein for the best... thanks for all the advice

craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts