The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Neither, those are 1 liter tanks and apparently are not even pressurized to normal levels. They are way too small for a 75 gallon tank and can be hard to refill. You should buy a proper 10 lb or 5 kg co2 tank compatible with whomever you are refilling it with and get a real 2 stage regulator with solenoid etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither, those are 1 liter tanks and apparently are not even pressurized to normal levels. They are way too small for a 75 gallon tank and can be hard to refill. You should buy a proper 10 lb or 5 kg co2 tank compatible with whomever you are refilling it with and get a real 2 stage regulator with solenoid etc.
Would Flourish Excel work as good as a CO2 setup?

·
Registered
117 Posts
excel will cost you a fortune in a 75 gallon tank. You will be going through a gallon or 2 a month, without getting the results you want.

Save up and get co2, and a good light. You will be much happier with the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
excel will cost you a fortune in a 75 gallon tank. You will be going through a gallon or 2 a month, without getting the results you want.

Save up and get co2, and a good light. You will be much happier with the results.
Another question although on a tangent. I can’t use my tap water for my tank due to the salt content and I can’t find enough distilled water. Is reverse osmosis water fine for a planted aquarium provided that I add the right nutrients?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Yes. You reconstitute the RO water with minerals. You'll need Calcium and Magnesium at about a 3:1 ratio but you have to decide which compounds to use. There are Sulfate and Chloride compounds. You can buy mineral mixes or you can mix your own. You can try CaCO3 but that's hard to dissolve. Every compound has a molar mass. Each element has its own molar mass. e.g. Calcium Sulfate has a molar mass of 136.14 g/mol. Calcium's molar mass is 40.08 g/mol. Therefore, CaSO4 has 29.44% Calcium in it. I think your water should have 50 mg/l or more of Calcium in it. Your 75 gallon aquarium has 241 liters taking into account 15% displacement. You divide 241 by the percentage of Calcium in the compound Calcium Sulfate. 241/.2944=819 mg. You will need 819 mg CaSO4 to raise your tank's Calcium concentration 1 mg/l. So a total of 50 x 819 mg = 40.95 grams to get your target 50 mg/l. Then you have to do the same calculations with your Magnesium compound of choice at 1/3 the ratio.

That's cooking from scratch. You can buy mixes of compounds ready to just throw into your RO water. There are several of these proprietary mixes. I don't think it would be fair to single one out. I will leave that research up to you.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
That’s good to know. In the event of using Excel though would Helanium, Mersilea, Hemianthus and Eleocharis be safe with it? I’ve heard of it melting mosses but these are all carpet plants.
All of those but Hemianthus are easy to grow plants with the exception of hemianthus. They will all grow in a low tech tank without co2. HOWEVER, they will not carpet quickly. And by not quickly, I mean years instead of weeks or months. As others have said dumping excel in will not let you grow plants quicker or let you grow a plant you otherwise couldn't like hemianthus.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am still working on my marislea crenata carpet after about 7 months, with co2 and a fluval 3.0 in a 72g bow front. My pH drop is about 1.1 most days. I'm not expecting my carpet to be anywhere where I want it before the end of covid19.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.