The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for peoples exerience with co2 diffusers. I've tried a handful and am hoping this thread helps me reduce my experimenting some. :D

I've tried a handful of diffusers, from 88g, to chamber reactors, to gla inline atomics.

Goal is to deliever enough co2 to a 20g long high tech.

I do not want anything bulky visable inside tank.

I'm leaning towards gla atomic, or eyeing this Red Sea 500.

If you have a favorite co2 diffusion setup, please share!

edit: Ack, this is in a pressurized system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
88g

I have the 88g in my 20gal tall and I like it but it is the only diffuser I've used. I keep it as low as possible behind some plants because the black plastic body isn't the prettiest - but easy enough to hide.

I have a DIY paintball canister CO2 setup BTW.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this but I like my Atomic inline better than my glass diffuser. My glass one is no longer listed but I bought it from GLA as well, not sure if it was any particular brand but it is good quality, I just like the inline better. I am not the first to have the little nut that holds the CO2 tubing on my Atomic diffuser break. Unfortunately it's not some universal part and GLA has never responded to few customer service claims. I know we are not supposed to review venders and that is not my point of saying this. I am saying that this has a manufacturing defect in the product that cannot easily be resolved which is part of my review of the product. I did find a really tight zip tie works however. You can also find a metal nut that works but I am always hesitant to use metal that needs to be pretty tight on plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
From the diffusers I've tried, and I haven't tried the atomic inline yet, I like these. They work well, look good, never break, and are easy to clean. Not sure if you can get these in the states. http://www.aquainspiration.com/nproductdetail.asp?PIN=CO&PNAME=dc&PSIZE=SXHS&PTYPE=Diffuser Reactor
I always wanted this and some stainless steal lily pipes. I forgot about it when I went with acrylic lilies and an inline diffuser. Good to hear it works well because the design is excellent, well thought out, and I personally love the look of stainless, much less how easy it is to clean.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with this but I like my Atomic inline better than my glass diffuser. My glass one is no longer listed but I bought it from GLA as well, not sure if it was any particular brand but it is good quality, I just like the inline better. I am not the first to have the little nut that holds the CO2 tubing on my Atomic diffuser break. Unfortunately it's not some universal part and GLA has never responded to few customer service claims. I know we are not supposed to review venders and that is not my point of saying this. I am saying that this has a manufacturing defect in the product that cannot easily be resolved which is part of my review of the product. I did find a really tight zip tie works however. You can also find a metal nut that works but I am always hesitant to use metal that needs to be pretty tight on plastic.
I like the GLA atomic diffusers. I have the inline diffusers and they work great. I've also had a few of the little plastic nuts break, but I've also found that they're not entirely necessary. I don't use the plastic compression nuts on mine anymore and I haven't experienced any difference or found any leaks in the system. I think the reason people have problems with the nuts cracking is that they tighten them down too much which over-stresses the plastic. I'm not saying that couldn't be improved in the design. I'm simply saying that if you are careful not to tighten it down too much you shouldn't have any problems with it cracking, especially since I've been running my system without the compression nuts for months now without any CO2 leakage or any other problems.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I like the GLA atomic diffusers. I have the inline diffusers and they work great. I've also had a few of the little plastic nuts break, but I've also found that they're not entirely necessary. I don't use the plastic compression nuts on mine anymore and I haven't experienced any difference or found any leaks in the system. I think the reason people have problems with the nuts cracking is that they tighten them down too much which over-stresses the plastic. I'm not saying that couldn't be improved in the design. I'm simply saying that if you are careful not to tighten it down too much you shouldn't have any problems with it cracking, especially since I've been running my system without the compression nuts for months now without any CO2 leakage or any other problems.
I never tightened my down any tighter than any others. It broke on a casting line which was very weak. That said, I stand by the fact I feel it has a defective part as it was really easy to break and I am not the only one who broke one, necessary or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Atomic Inline one's seem great but I'm a bit worried about the little bubbles making it all the way into my tank (and producing the "7Up" look that I don't really want). I have around 1-1.5 metres (3-4 feet) of tubing from my canister filter "Out" to the return spray bar. Obviously I should install the Atomic Inline as close to the output of the canister.

At around 2 bps will I see small CO2 bubbles outputting from my spray bar or will they mostly be dissolved by then? Or should I plumb the Atomic before the canister?

If I plumb it before then I'm worried about all the bubbles accumulating into a large bubble inside the top of my canister and damaging the impeller or burping or dissolving well after my solenoid has shut down and affecting my tank. Any reviews would be helpful! Thanks

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
For tanks less than 50 or so gallons, I would say that an atomizer is probably the way to go if you don't mind misting. They should be looked upon as consumables though. I've been using them for while now and like them a lot. When my current ones take a dump, I will be switching over to fractioning impeller pumps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
cerges reactor (or other types of chamber reactors) is the way to go. i can't stand any kind of ceramic diffusers anymore. not only is there an annoying mist constantly throughout the tank (looks very unnatural), but the diffusers always get gunked up over time which forces you to take it out to clean every few weeks or your co2 levels will slowly drop. it's just an overall hassle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

For chamber reactors/cerges, what size tanks are these being used on? I’ve fashioned a Rex style chamber for a 100g, the co2 bubbles from the tubing could not dissolve fast enough and ended up filling the chamber with co2. Even added a 88g inside the chamber to start off with smaller bubbles, co2 would still filled up the chamber. I had better success with a 37g, but once I began pushing bps, the chamber would begin to fill up with co2.

Another concern, if the chamber is partially full with co2, the remainder dissolves into the tank after the photoperiod ends.

This method may work great on a 20g though. ?

Linking Cthulhu thread. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207490&highlight=

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I made a basic Rex reactor out of clear pvc for my 55g, and it worked flawlessly. I also have an AM1000 which works incredibly well. No bubbles at all, total diffusion, if that is what you are after.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.