The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Reaactor if you can do it. Otherwise. Rhinox has a good one just takes a while to get it here. Its ceraic. Sometimes ceramics can be hit or miss. Instead of it producing fine bubbles they can produce huge ones that dont diffuse.

Also u can buy a 3 pack from ebay for cheap. I ran 2 smaller ones and my 29 for a while

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use an inexpensive Boyu diffuser that I purchased on Ebay for under $10 including shipping.
It is connected to the intake of my Rena XP2 canister filter.
The CO2 is invisible at the spraybar (unless I have the BPS too high).
Charles

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Ideally, a reactor. It's - by far - the most efficient in terms of dissolving CO2. If you can't or don't want to use a reactor, then the high pressure diffusers (atomic, atomizer, etc.) are the next step down. Unfortunately, they seem to be a little bit more difficult to set up if you use a regulator for more than one tank. But for just one tank off a regulator, they're ideal, as long as your regulator is capable of 30-40psi.

And there's always the glass/ceramic diffusers, cheap and easy from Evilbay. But I agree with Blazing - they're hit or miss. For however many tanks you'd use them for, I'd suggest buying two each.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
definitely ceramic disc.
Thank you

Reaactor if you can do it. Otherwise. Rhinox has a good one just takes a while to get it here. Its ceraic. Sometimes ceramics can be hit or miss. Instead of it producing fine bubbles they can produce huge ones that dont diffuse.

Also u can buy a 3 pack from ebay for cheap. I ran 2 smaller ones and my 29 for a while
Thanks

I use an inexpensive Boyu diffuser that I purchased on Ebay for under $10 including shipping.
It is connected to the intake of my Rena XP2 canister filter.
The CO2 is invisible at the spraybar (unless I have the BPS too high).
Charles
I can't hook one to the intake of my Fluval canister I will need to do it on the return. Thanks for the help.

atomic from theshrimplab.com
Thanks I will check it out.

Ideally, a reactor. It's - by far - the most efficient in terms of dissolving CO2. If you can't or don't want to use a reactor, then the high pressure diffusers (atomic, atomizer, etc.) are the next step down. Unfortunately, they seem to be a little bit more difficult to set up if you use a regulator for more than one tank. But for just one tank off a regulator, they're ideal, as long as your regulator is capable of 30-40psi.

And there's always the glass/ceramic diffusers, cheap and easy from Evilbay. But I agree with Blazing - they're hit or miss. For however many tanks you'd use them for, I'd suggest buying two each.
Thanks, I have a 75 so I will need to look into the best size for a diffuser for the tank. I will also check out a reactor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im using an atomizer at the moment on my little 25G shrimp tank...

very fine bubbles, and with my spray bar pointing slightly down, it just blows the fine bubbles around the tank... works well

But it does make your tank look fizzy though.. :D

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im using an atomizer at the moment on my little 25G shrimp tank...

very fine bubbles, and with my spray bar pointing slightly down, it just blows the fine bubbles around the tank... works well

But it does make your tank look fizzy though.. :D
Thank you for the info

Ebay isn't the only place to get ceramic diffusers :>

I like inline diffusers and good quality ceramic diffusers the best. I sell the mr. aqua brand which is superb quality.
Thank you, I will check into your wares.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again to everyone for you thoughts and suggestions. I have decided to go with a Cerges reactor. I have all of the parts and just need to put it together. I haven't decided yet if I want to remove the purge button to run the CO2 through or to put a valve on a tee just before the water enters the reactor. I also need to figure out how to hook my Fluval 105 to the reactor.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I'm wondering what you think of the Hagen Ladder

Amazon.com : Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer : Aquariums : Pet Supplies

I'm looking to DIY and don't mind that price. It seems it should last a great deal longer than the other diffuser offerings. I was going to put 2 in my 180 and make my own canister, let me know what you think.
I realize this is an ancient thread, however I just wanted to add my input if anyone else was curious about the Nutrafin CO2 system. I have used it on my 10 gallon, and while I found it to be easier than a DIY 2 liter bottle setup, it didn't last nearly as long. I found it only lasted a couple of weeks using the amounts of sugar they recommend. I don't think it would work very well in a large tank, and the ladder that comes with it seems to be an inefficient method of diffusing the co2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.