The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two 2 ltr yeast bottles running through a t valve into a bubble ladder but it seems like there is too much pressure, bubbles become too big and jump off the ladder and disturb the surface, airstones won't work, just create big bubbles, and a ceramic won't work due to not enough pressure, haven't tried the chopstick but I'm retarted and need a pic guide for it... I'm thinking glass diffuser....

So what's the best cheap diffusor for yeast??? EBay??? Post up what you use and where to get it

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hagen has the ladder diffuser they bundle with their C02 kit for sale separately and it's quite cheap too...it's just not as aesthetically pleasing to look at as some of the other options.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had a cheap ceramic diffuser from china I bought off of ebay when I was running co2 on one of my tanks, and it worked just fine. I just had to let the pressure build up for a while before it pushed any bubbles out. The disks do vary some, so I guess it's possible some diffusers work and others don't.

But using chopsticks is easy. Just stick a bit of the chopstick into the tubing and set it in your tank. A quick google search will show you what I mean:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually am using the hagen ladder that came with the glorified DIY yeast kit, but I have it hooked up to two containers and the bubbles are huge that climb the ladder, is that normal? They climb it very fast and just go to the surface as big blob bubbles, so does that mean their not dissolving??

·
Registered
370 Posts
How big are the bubbles exactly? I have always been leery of the ladder setups myself because I've have seen many in action that appeared less than efficient (not to mention the obvious aesthetic issues).

The cheapo glass and ceramic ebay ones have worked well for me in the past. A single two liter should provide enough pressure to produce bubbles with that type of setup. The problem is it is hard to get the "perfect" seal with those DIY setups. If you have a small, slow leak (and trust me, small is all it takes) you might be losing too much pressure to force it through the ceramic.

BTW, What type of filter are you using? If it is a canister you may want to look into an inline reactor.

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
i have a fluval ceramic diffuser, it doesnt work, no bubbles, nothing.... how does yours work so well??
I have the cheapies from eBay. $15 shipped for 10, I think.

Have never been able to build up enough pressure when using silicone tubing but it always works fine with standard airline tubing or pressurized gas tubing.

The only issue is cleaning the dang ceramic disk every five seconds.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a tens xp3 cannister but haven't tried in line yet, anyone have a guide on how to setup? Or is it just done through a tube in your intake?? The bubbles are large on the hagen ladder, like half the size of a nickel.... I'm thinking about a glass diffuser from eBay, anyone reccomend good source?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just came home from a craft store with a couple round wood pieces,1" dia.,, drilled into one and set it in w/ pressurized system,,it's working amazing,,,bubbles are pinpoint dia. and just about all are dissolved by the time they reach surface,,never tried this before so i'm not sure how long it will last.....

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
You can build yourself a Grigg or Cerges reactor for <$30 and attach the DIY to it. No need for diffusers, and you'll get 100% diffusion. Do a search here or google them.

And then when you invest in a pressurized CO2 system - and you will - you'll be all set for diffusion. Good luck :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use a Boyu diffuser that I bought on Ebay.
About $10.
I installed it on the intake side of my XP2 canister.
It works well that way. No misting bubbles out of the spray bar (7-up effect).
I bought two of them so I could use one while I clean the other.
Charles

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.