The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm relatively new to planted tanks and completely new to high tech tanks. I'm fairly confident on the background and mid ground plants I plan on planting in my standard 125 gallon tank but am unsure how the foreground plants may do. Some rough specs are below:
  • 125 gallon tank (72" x 19" x 24")
  • 2 x 36" finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC Aquarium LED Light
  • co2 system with inline reactor w/ fx6 filter. What is the best Carpeting Plant I can plant that will successfully grow. I am kind of leaning towards dwarf hairgrass but love many others and some even more but I realize they need a lot of light.
Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've found true dhg is a little tricky to grow without knowing what you're doing. I've had very good luck every time I've used eleocharis pusilla, one of the many forms of hair grass in moderate "high tech" tanks. It's not as compact at all but gives a nice fully grown lawn look. I'm also liking staurogyne repens (my spelling may be bad on that one). It's not grass like but it's a nice compact bush looking carpet. Water clovers are pretty and relatively easy but they get leggy in less than high light. Those are pretty much my staples. I like crypt parva too but it doesn't work well with high tech as it's way too slow growing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've found true dhg is a little tricky to grow without knowing what you're doing. I've had very good luck every time I've used eleocharis pusilla, one of the many forms of hair grass in moderate "high tech" tanks. It's not as compact at all but gives a nice fully grown lawn look. I'm also liking staurogyne repens (my spelling may be bad on that one). It's not grass like but it's a nice compact bush looking carpet. Water clovers are pretty and relatively easy but they get leggy in less than high light. Those are pretty much my staples. I like crypt parva too but it doesn't work well with high tech as it's way too slow growing.
Awesome!! Thank you very much for your suggestions! I like the looks of both. I really want a nice Carpeting Plant but am worried about the 24" height of the tank. Looks like those two might work well for me though. If need be I may be willing to add an additional light.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Monte Carlo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only problem with Monte Carlo is that it grows on itself. At one point I neglected it and it was 6 inches thick

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.