The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
917 Posts
I'm setting up my Red Sea Max 130D (34 Gallons) which is a large cube tank. The light is 110w with around 350GPH flow.

I'm going to have ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil for the substrate, around 3" or so of it. I don't know much about CO2 and I'd rather keep it low-tech. I'll dose fertilizers, however.

EDIT: BTW, the tank dimensions are 24" long by 15" wide by 18" tall. So just count it as about 15" below the light.

What would be the best thing to get to carpet in the tank? It'd be a huge bonus if you could show me a link where I could buy large-ish amounts for small-ish dollars.

Thanks! :)

Also, what's the best method to get it to carpet? I really wanna cycle the tank and get the plants growing well before I add fish. I'll be setting up the tank with water within a week, whenever the Aqua Soil gets here.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think with lights that bright don't you need co2? Not an expert just something I've seen others say. Also with 3wpg you can grow most carpet plants, so its your preference! Dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass is my favourite for looks, shame my tank cant grow it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From what I understand, a dry start is the premo way to get certain plants to carpet. Especially shallow rooters like HC. Staurogyne repens is another one that might be worth trying to carpet. Or dwarf hairgrass, although, I think I've read that dward hairgrass doesn't work quite as well as HC when dry-starting.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't forget about Glosso. That's what I'm using on my new tank.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I like dwarf baby tears the most. How fast would those grow? I'd likely do a dry start. Any guides on that?
I did a DSM w/ HC on one of my project tanks ("Kahawai"). Came out really nice and lush. Doing another DSM w/ Monte Carlo ("Ultimus"), another carpet plant to consider. :bounce:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts