The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10g tank that I would like to move all the inhabitants of into a 33 long. I have no intentions of adding much more to the tank once it's set up. The tank is technically overstocked with inhabitants, but none are a huge bioload to the tank. Kuhli loaches, pygmy cories, BN pleco and shrimp. A thriving shrimp colony plus some oddballs that I can't get to breed...

So in short, the bioload for the 33 long (48" x 13") would be low. However, I want to make sure that there is sufficient flow from one side of the tank to the other. Would a canister filter for a 30g tank be sufficient? Or should I opt for a filter for a 55-65g tank?

I've been looking at either a Cascade (cheap... 500/700) or UNS Delta (60/90). I'm using a dual sponge filter ATM, so I believe either size canister filter would be "overkill", so to speak, I'm just not sure on the flow of water being sufficient with a smaller canister.

Anyone have experience with 33 longs or any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The cascade 700 is rated at 185 gallons per hour. Rule of thumb with canister filters is to halve the advertised number since that number is created without media in the basket and without head pressure. That means you will probably see around 90 gallons per hour actual flow. Typically you want 4 to 8 times per hour turn over so the 700 will be underpowered for a 33 long. The Cascade 1000 is the next size up at 265 gallons per hour. Halving that number its about 130 gallons per hour or a little over 4 times turn over an hour.

This will be considerably more flow then your sponge filters but also significantly quieter.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that! I've never ran canisters, wasn't planning on it, either! :ROFLMAO:

Makes me feel better about getting a larger canister! That said, the sponge filter in current tank isn't noisy! If this was a 30 breeder instead of a 33 long, I would, without a doubt, use sponge filters! But we're talking a difference of a tank that's 36 x 18 vs 48 x 13... I could still use sponge filters, but would rather not based no the dimensions of the tank.

The UNS Delta 90 is 120 GPH, max rated at 250... so it would be a bit under the recommendation. The 120 at 200/300 in comparison. Also about twice as much as what I can get the Cascade at currently... not that that is a determining factor completely.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to chime in here as well. I recently set up a 21 gallon long (W35.43xD11.81xH11.81 in) and I have Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 (max. 250 gph) for it and the flow/circulation is just right. Depending on your scape ie plant density, rocks, driftwood, etc. the UNS Delta 120 may be the better choice. Due to length of the tank the flow from my Oase filter does do a good job, but the flow isn't has strong as the same filter in my standard 60p tank. Also don't forget to account for equipment that may be installed inline that may reduce flow eg heat, co2 diffuser, quick-release valves, etc.(if applicable) and the filter media type. My two cents are based my experience with planted tanks, but if your tank is less dense with plant/hardscape I'm sure that would give you a little wiggle room with your lower bioload live stock. My newly set up 21 gallon long is posted in the tank journal section or you can click the link in my signature if you're interested or for reference. Hope this helped a little

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@a modest aquarist I appreciate the input! I have no plans on adding any inline anything, but I would like to modify the intake to be similar or same as the outflow. Basically, I want a spray bar for the outflow and either one as the intake, or an SS mesh tube for intake which would likely need to be custom made. I haven't made it as far as considering what to do with media type atm... either use stock media or look into replacing some of it with something.

I don't have a lot of plants for the tank, nor am I necessarily looking to get more plants. Right now, the 10g only has some subwassertang in it that is finally starting to take over since I last removed a bunch out of the tank and a mini(?) anubis. I do have other plants but they are small plants that aren't likely to grow big.. I'd say that I don't have much to scape with otherwise, but that's not quit true anymore... got a bag full of driftwood and slate! Haven't quite figured out what I'll do with any of it. Didn't really plan on doing much scaping as it stands anyway but may just need to play around with it while the tank cycles or while setting it up. To put simply, I'm not trying to set up a display tank.

That said, your tank looks amazing! Love it!

(also haven't figured out lighting yet.... either single light across entire tank or two smaller lights for each side?)

@STUDENT OF THE GAME Thanks for the input! Not looking to use lily pipes but I appreciate reading about your experience!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I went ahead and purchased the Cascade 1000... It was $140 in store, bought online and with online prices and discounts... final price was about $45.... brand new.

It was out of stock.... cancelled from order. That was two weeks ago. Price is now $150 in store, $90 online. It remains out of stock within all stores in a 30 minute driving distance.... next closest store it's available in is about 2 hours away....

Although the possibility is available to get it even cheaper than that now...... I went and picked up an UNS 120 instead. $140 before tax. It'll be fun attempting to put the tank together! Unfortunately, before I can start setting the tank up, still need some additional supplies and paint.... but it's nice to get that much closer to being able to put the tank together!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.