The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep finding reviews about flimsy parts on the Aqueon, Python, Lee, etc.

What have you all had the best success with? I'm probably about 30-35 feet from a faucet.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
For gravel vaccuming, I use Python or Aqueon water changer to suck up waste.
For just water changes,I use garden hose attached to small pond pump.
Have not had any problems with either the Python or the Aqueon except for the time I dropped the faucet adapter on concrete floor and it broke.
Spare part's are cheap, and I would order a spare faucet adapter.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I love my Python. I found a 25' system on craigslist and just ordered another 25' extension. That way I can change the water in my 37g which is in my den and hook it up to the faucet in my hall bathroom. I have had no issues with flimsy parts. the only thing that I could see being an issue is the part that hooks up to the faucet but there is just one thing that you turn to either force water out of the bottom causing a vacuum or to close it and force water to the tank. the only other thing I had to purchase was a faucet connector that consists of two pieces. A metal piece that screws into the faucet and a plastic piece that goes to the Python. I think I got those at a local hardware store.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I had a python for over 15 years, changed the tubing a few times. Just recently I broke the gravel washer on it, and decided to try the aqueon version. It has a valve on it, when done with one tank, turn the valve, move to next tank, open valve, the siphon continues. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just picked up two spare faucet attachments on e-bay for my python while the getting was good.

Part of the issue with "flimsiness" is that people close the water shut off valve while the faucet is still going and then race to the faucet to turn it off, while the pressure inside the hose is building, and building and building. I'd rather have the faucet attachment pop off then have a rupture someplace else.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was leaning towards DIY with a waterbed filler, but found an Aqueon 50 ft. for $40 on Amazon so I might just go that route so I have the gravel vacuum thingie and on/off valve within easy reach- thanks!

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Aqueon water changer is awesome. Much better than the python. Very durable tubing and parts. I do not see this ever breaking. I also like the valve on the side. Makes it so easy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I didn't know Python was going under. But anyway, I've had my Python for over 10 years and love it. Mine has a valve on it to stop/turn on the flow. Not sure why that's such a big deal on Aqueon unless more recent models of Python didn't have it. Kind of figured it was standard. Anyway, my opinon using the same Python all these years is they're a good brand if you find one of them for a price you like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.