The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
List your favorite shrimp down below! this is just for fun so don't worry about me going out and buying Taiwan Bees and losing a grand!
Any Neocaridina, most common being RCS. Set-up conditions right and don't have even small predators (unless you have lots of hiding spaces) and they will likely breed. Research best food and calcium supplements.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, I only have experience with Neos and ghost shrimp. Iv'e found those two pretty easy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Neocaridina definitely easy. I started with 10 in a 36G, now i have 300+, plus the canister filter babies that were basically straight dropped into the other 3 tanks bc I feel bad about flushing. My advice is to start with at least 10 so you are sure to get a couple of each sex.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well, I only have experience with Neos and ghost shrimp. Iv'e found those two pretty easy
Are ghost shrimp easy to breed. I think ghost eat their young which have to go through metamorphosis from microscopic larvae to maturity.

Can you keep Neo with ghost. I think ghost are predatory to some extent and unsafe with Neo.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Are ghost shrimp easy to breed. I think ghost eat their young which have to go through metamorphosis from microscopic larvae to maturity.

Can you keep Neo with ghost. I think ghost are predatory to some extent and unsafe with Neo.
I've read that ghost shrimp have pelagic/free floating larvae, which most tank setups are not hospitable towards.

As for keeping Neos with ghosts, I would say no? I think I've read that ghosts are more aggro than Neos, and since Neos are so expensive, I'd rather not waste the money by keeping the two together....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bribe shrimp lol, just kidding. RCS were the only ones I had any luck with. I'm bad with shrimp, though. I have no clue why but of all the times I've tried to keep nano tanks with shrimp the only thing that happens is they hide out in my plants and I never see them so I give up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Neocaridina 'Blue Dream'. I just don't get what the fuss is about Caridinas. They seem pickier and...that's about it?
Why Caridinas? In short? Incredible varieties of intense unbelievable colors. Skyfish-aqua.com in taiwan is one breeder where just going through their catalog is an experience. Youtube search galaxy fishbone, metallic boa.. or here, a random video for your eyes to feast:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd have to recommend tigers....

I've yet to have a thriving Neo colony!!!! :LOL: :cry:
Im pretty sure with all your experience you could keep neos if you decided to :) What kind of tigers do/did you have? I want to try OEBT next, their water parameters seem so close to what Im already doing and they got some real style!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Im pretty sure with all your experience you could keep neos if you decided to :) What kind of tigers do/did you have? I want to try OEBT next, their water parameters seem so close to what Im already doing and they got some real style!
I started out with Neos.... the only time I got my colony breeding and thriving, the colonies were hit with a poison... one of them was at least an insecticide... haven't had success keeping them since. They were only just getting started, too... (they weren't really thriving before then...)

Kind of started back in 2015.... but I "took over" more in 2016 after having to do research.

I only have YKK and amanos/false amanos. But I've seen others that have struggled to keep Neos (regardless of WHERE they came from) have success with tigers. YKK are believed to have derived from TT's so... they're tiger hybrids? I think it's safe to say I no longer have Neos, even though I did put some in the tank. It is geared towards Caridina parameters though.... with higher GH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I’ll probably go with the RCS in a planted 5 gal when it’s my birth day, then if things are going well I might do some caridina?, though all those minerals and Chen’s are going to be a pain, have any brands you use? And anywhere you can get RO water?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
RO water can be had in a few ways.... via an LFS that sells it, a grocery store (Primo/Glacier), water "store" or station, or buying a unit. Distilled water works fine, too. I learned the hard way to make sure I took my TDS meter with me and test the water before purchasing it. I typically go to Walmart (plenty of other stores that have machines, too!) and get the water there. Once though, the TDS was far too high (I am for 5 TDS or below with my meter) and I didn't find out until after I had gotten the water home. Bit awkward trying to get a refund on "bad" water from a different store to thus buy "good" water from that store.

Kind of had an issue with one LFS water as well (that particular store has since shut down, unfortunately). They had claimed their water was fine as they use it in saltwater tanks all the time! Our water hardly has any minerals in it to begin with, so I doubt it would cause an issue for any saltwater animals if there's a bit of freshwater minerals in there... but creates an issue when you're trying to go for specific freshwater parameters!

Salty Shrimp is a popular brand, but some people have noticed that it doesn't always mix well or perhaps the GH and KH ratio are a bit off. I have some but no longer use it since converting the tank over to acidic conditions - I've got Aqualex GH for that, which I ordered at the same time as the substrate, SL-Aqua. There are other brands you could use of course. I've heard good things about Vin products as well as Salty Bee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts