The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very very new to the plant world, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what plants i should get. i would like very low light, fast growing, and tough plants. Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Plants that can tolerate very low light and are fast growing usually do not overlap.

However, some low light plants that I would recommend are: Cryptocoryne spp., Anubias spp., Elodea, Egeria, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Hygrophila.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Most mosses do pretty well in low light, not just Java. Suesswassertang (not "truly" a moss but still gets lumped in with them), Pellia (same sort of thing), Flame, and Christmas mosses are some other options to consider.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
While it is true that growth rate is directly related to the amount of light, it is also true that anubias species won't grow as fast as Hygro species will in the same tank. That being said, I recommend stem plants, because they do tend to grow faster, and they are much more forgiving to noobs.

I recommend starting with Rotala, Wisteria, Temple Plant (or other Hygrophilas), and Anacharis as your stems. Then you can also throw some cryptocoryne species in there as well, because they can grow pretty fast too under lower light conditions.

Anubias will certainly be fine under low light, but you might not actually ever see them grow, or do anything, and they might be boring to you at first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.