The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had a Rex Grigg regulator for 3 years which was in continuous use for much of that time without any problems. His site is not responding to any emails so take a look at his design and get the parts.

·
Welcome to Algaeville
161 Posts
I recently scored a new matheson dual stage of ebay for $40 with shipping and got a post body kit off this forum from btimmer. I was getting inconsistent bubbles with my Milwaukee and came home to gasping fish twice. I straight junked that regulator - wasn't worth passing on that trouble to someone else.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are planning on building one yourself or are you after something already together?

What are you wanting to upgrade from?

What's your budget like?
well my previous setup is jaggedfurry setup. 20oz painball, on/off asa, and homedepot needle valve. So I figure I save more in a long run with selenoid and dual stage regulator. so I can control co2 more better and preserve co2 in the long run.

So right now im just surfing the web for dual regulator with selenoid for 20oz paintball. The one I'm very interested in is the Aquatek regulator $62.99 free shipping... But I've read Milwaukee MA957 is superb.. exept its $86.95 + $6.99 shipping.

I just want to get the best deal for my woozy 20oz paintball.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've had the Aquatek up and running since about January and couldn't be happier with it. The needle valve is a bit touchy and requires very minute adjustments to dial in the bubble rate but once set, I haven't had to touch it unless I wanted to change the BPS. I'm running it with a 20oz paintball tank and the Aquatek paintball adapter that was also on eBay for about $15 or so.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had the Aquatek up and running since about January and couldn't be happier with it. The needle valve is a bit touchy and requires very minute adjustments to dial in the bubble rate but once set, I haven't had to touch it unless I wanted to change the BPS. I'm running it with a 20oz paintball tank and the Aquatek paintball adapter that was also on eBay for about $15 or so.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
oh I see. I was like... how to connect the adapter to the paintball tank? now you mention it I need to buy an extra fitting (cga 320) for paintball tank.

looks kinda weird because now the adapter's gauge is facing to the ceiling... right?

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
oh I see. I was like... how to connect the adapter to the paintball tank? now you mention it I need to buy an extra fitting (cga 320) for paintball tank.
No. A CGA-320 nipple and nut would be necessary to connect a regulator to a standard CO2 cylinder. A paintball adapter will connect a CGA-320 nipple/nut to a paintball tank. For most used regulators, you'll need to purchase a CGA-320 nipple and nut. For paintball use, you'll need an extra adapter on top of that.

With the understanding that using a 20oz paintball canister means that you'll have to refill 4 times as often as you would with a 5lb cylinder, I'd suggest selling off the paintball tank and purchasing a cylinder at your local welding supply store.

Assuming that the objective with paintball is to go absolutely dirt cheap, there's no sense in sticking with paintball once you start upgrading anything.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
Sarcasm aside, $80 is far too much to pay for a 5lb cylinder - you can do much better. Additionally, speaking only for myself, an extra three trips per X months to a sporting goods store is a PITA, separate from gas and wear n tear on my car. Or the $15 paintball adapter.

Admittedly, you have no good reason to assume I know what I'm talking about. So, as you clearly already are, continue to take any advice I give with a grain of salt.

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, beverageelements does a refurbished, hydrotested 20lb cylinder for $120. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
^ yes and they also sell an awkward 7lb for $40 or a standard 5lb for $50, plus 10s and 15s i believe.

yay, beverageelements.com!

Best bang for buck -> dual stage reg from ebay -> post body off forum -> tank from B.E.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Sarcasm aside, $80 is far too much to pay for a 5lb cylinder - you can do much better.
Where? If you buy it online, its empty, so you still have to find someplace local to fill it. Problem is most gas suppliers will only fill cylinders that you purchased from them. The prices difference between a 5, 10, and 20 pound cylinders isn't very much from most gas suppliers, and its harder to find anyone selling smaller than 10 pounds.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^ yes and they also sell an awkward 7lb for $40 or a standard 5lb for $50, plus 10s and 15s i believe.

yay, beverageelements.com!

Best bang for buck -> dual stage reg from ebay -> post body off forum -> tank from B.E.
I always thought... co2 tank -> regulator (selenoid, etc) -> diffuser.

whats "post body"? or whatever btimmer92 selling "post body kit" I always think that once you buy a regulator, its good to go just plug in to co2 tank and diffuser.

opinions for brand if you guys don't mind? like your favorite to your least. so I can search it on eeeebaaay.
thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.