The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not positive but I may have had a shrimp die from bacterial infection today. What's the best meds and preventative measures.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Subtle get your temp as low as possible 74-75 no higher bacterial infection I am noticing is when temp starts to rise. I had some 77-78 days and my shrimp started dropping. 1-2 and then cause I am not home they start eating the dead body. Argh. So get temp to ideal 74-75 and treat with parguard or marcyn2.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
API Melafix + SeaChem Paraguard works wonders for me. This is how I do it. YMMV.
This will usually shock alot of the infected shrimps and could possibly create a good amount of death initially. Anywhere from 1-2 to 4-5 a day. Treatment is brutal but works :)

1.) Keep temp 72 and below while treating at all times. Feed very little. 2x a week only.
2.) Dose 2x the recommended label of Melafix. 2 drops of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
3.) 50% W/C on the 5th day
4.) Dose the recommended label of Melafix. 1 drop of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
5.) 50% W/C on the 10th day

By the 11th day onward, any shrimps that remain should all be ok and the ones that are weak would have been dead by now. Don't touch the water, the shrimps. Just let them be.

Keep the temp 72 and below as long as you can right after treatment to prolong effectiveness ;)

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
API Melafix + SeaChem Paraguard works wonders for me. This is how I do it. YMMV.
This will usually shock alot of the infected shrimps and could possibly create a good amount of death initially. Anywhere from 1-2 to 4-5 a day. Treatment is brutal but works :)

1.) Keep temp 72 and below while treating at all times. Feed very little. 2x a week only.
2.) Dose 2x the recommended label of Melafix. 2 drops of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
3.) 50% W/C on the 5th day
4.) Dose the recommended label of Melafix. 1 drop of Paraguard per 5 gallons.
5.) 50% W/C on the 10th day

By the 11th day onward, any shrimps that remain should all be ok and the ones that are weak would have been dead by now. Don't touch the water, the shrimps. Just let them be.

Keep the temp 72 and below as long as you can right after treatment to prolong effectiveness ;)
Do those medications have any adverse effect on plants?

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
None. Melafix even makes your tank smell better! Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts