The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am wondering, I always have few berried Red Cherry females in the tank, and I am sure the eggs have been hatched but I can always see only 5-6 shrimplets. My tank is 10 gal, cycled, PH around 7.0, 0 nitrate, temp 78F, Sponge Filter, heavy planted, no fish, except 1 Otto.
i read all the time stories, people write about crazy breeding, having colony of 50. It has never happened in my tank ( 6 months old tank), I never have had more than 20 Red Cherries, and females are berried constantly. Any ideas?. I do not use any baby shrimp food or other supplements. however I do have a plague of shrimp seed in my tank. Is it possible the seed shrimp are competing with baby shrimp with food?
Thank You for any ideas

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 10g shrimp only that is looks like a jungle yet you will only see a few shrimp. My tank is so much of a jungle I never know when I have berried females, I never see them. What I do is toss some shrimp food right in front of the tank, come back in 15 minutes and see how many are where I tossed the food. You might try it and see what results you get.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I found my colony in my 10g was pretty stable at around 20 shrimp until I started feeding heavily every day or two. The population exploded after that. Also, much better coloring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Thnx for replay
yes I think You could be right, the thing is, the females gave birth many times already, but I see only a few new shrimp, if all of them were berried I should have a large colony already.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think if you take my suggestion and toss some food in the front of the tank you will find you have more shrimp than you think. What kind of filter do you have? Is it possible the shrimps are getting into the filter?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I do have aqueon quiet flow 10, but I covered intake with a sponge, so it is safe. Im thinking about lack of enough food for them to survive, I can see some people use special powder baby food for the babies

·
Registered
241 Posts
Han aquatics sell stainless steel inlet covers that everyone swears by. I never used them myself only become i run only sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. When i first started i never used baby foods just generic algae wafers fish flakes from petsmart and my colony was in the hundreds after a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.