The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know all the terms...I found a ghost shrimp with eggs. My question is...when are shrimp eggs fertilized? These eggs are pretty big, so I was wondering if they are fertile or not. I have had her a week now, and she had the visible eggs when I got her. I was very careful to acclimate her and she is still carrying her eggs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't know all the terms...I found a ghost shrimp with eggs. My question is...when are shrimp eggs fertilized? These eggs are pretty big, so I was wondering if they are fertile or not. I have had her a week now, and she had the visible eggs when I got her. I was very careful to acclimate her and she is still carrying her eggs.
I think you will only know whether or not the eggs are "fertile" once you see the eggs hatch and have larvae all over the place. You will know they are not fertile if the eggs are dropped (obviously). But I am not completely sure so if someone who has bred Ghosts before could confirm this, it'd be great :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually the eggs are pink if infertile and dark brown/grey/black if fertile.
Cool! They are a med brown color...lets hope for babies!

Now, how can you tell males from females? She was obvious with the eggs, but I'd like to get her a mate. She is big...I noticed that there was another her size in the tank, and it had white inside the body part (don't know terms for shrimp parts except the tail!LOL). Is there a way to tell males from females?...Ghost shrimp are only $0.26, so I am learning to raise them before I get into RCS and CRS. Those are the ones I really want.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts

Now, how can you tell males from females? She was obvious with the eggs, but I'd like to get her a mate. She is big...I noticed that there was another her size in the tank, and it had white inside the body part (don't know terms for shrimp parts except the tail!LOL). Is there a way to tell males from females?...Ghost shrimp are only $0.26, so I am learning to raise them before I get into RCS and CRS. Those are the ones I really want.
Ghost shrimp are harder to breed than RCS... Yeah No kidding right!

The males will be much smaller and thinner like all shrimp.

The eggs are usually fertile, you may not see any of the larva though, I never have while I've bred them in the past.

good luck!

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
Usually the eggs are pink if infertile and dark brown/grey/black if fertile.
Ah, so I was wrong, thanks for this piece of information. :thumbsup:

Cool congratulations again then, I hope the larvae survives and becomes little shrimplets :) I too kept Ghosts before getting my RCS but only for about a week, though I still have them in with my turtle, he can't catch them it is hilarious. And my largest Ghost is also berried (just noticed today). But now I am thinking it is the only female because it is way larger than the others! Anyways, good luck!
Ghost shrimp are harder to breed than RCS... Yeah No kidding right!

The males will be much smaller and thinner like all shrimp.

The eggs are usually fertile, you may not see any of the larva though, I never have while I've bred them in the past.

good luck!

-Andrew
lol For real you'd think that the RCS would be $0.26 and the Ghosts more expensive because they are more difficult to breed. But I guess it is priced on color :icon_roll I wouldn't want to feed something a nice red RCS.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just though of something. I have her in a bare bottomed fry tank. I have several pond snail, trumpet snails, ramshorn snails and 2 guppy fry. What do shrimp larva look like...will the snails eat them if they are just laying on the bottom? I can move her to a simi planted 5.5g with 2 female betta and 2 guppy...too many snails to move them all.

Correction...1 female betta and 2 guppy...lost my newest little female this morning:icon_cry:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think the larvae are better off in the current tank though they might be eaten by the guppy fry but the snails are not going to harm the larvae do not worry about that ;) Now if you put it in with a Betta and adult guppies the larvae have almost no chance of survival if any.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I think the larvae are better off in the current tank though they might be eaten by the guppy fry but the snails are not going to harm the larvae do not worry about that ;) Now if you put it in with a Betta and adult guppies the larvae have almost no chance of survival if any.
Agreed. I had bred Ghost Shrimp once and I had moved the female to a filtered and heated 1g bucket and had moved her back to the main tank when I seen no more eggs. Come to find out in a month I had seen some of the shrimplets swimming about, they were hard to see(being ghosts of course).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts