The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my 75 gallon main tank. Up until now I have just been letting the tank mature, letting the plants establish, and finding out what grows well in this tank. It has been set up for over a year now. There is little to no algae to speak of and I am finally ready to try and do something with it.

So, I am soliciting thoughts. I would really like a Dutch style tank.

Thanks for looking,
Ben

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
I like the wild look of your tank, perhaps some structure like manzanita or a monster piece of mopani on the left side.

Do you want a fish tank with plants or a planted tank with fish?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, really impressive!

I definitely want a planted tank that happens to also contain fish :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I finished the temp controller using the INK BIRD ITC-2000 and a small project box. Wow is this thing accurate. Thanks for the link and recommendation on that (another thread on heaters a few weeks ago).

The reason why I asked about the fish is that you appear to have more than the average "aquascaped" tank which probably makes it way more challenging to keep those plants looking so beautiful although a few of the tanks did have a good number of small fish.

And does anyone know if the plants are separated under the substrate so that one species doesn't infringe on the others? I always wondered how it is possible to grow such beautiful and full plants so close together without having them all blend together. Probably why it's called aquascaping.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would say moving that first row of that grass in the middle back a little and allowing some foreground to spread there (is that pennywort?) would do wonders.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Bobbybills I love my temp controller too :) As far as the plants crowding each other, the ones that try to outcompete the others are the wisteria and dwarf sag. It is definitely a lot of aquascaping to keep it in check.
@MikeP_123 thanks for the suggestion. The plant is hydrocotyle japan. I have been trying to decide if I want to carpet with the sag or the hydrocotyle. I think I will remove the front line of sag and fill it in with the hydrocotyle though, I like that idea.

Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.