The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Our beloved family angelfish has been acting sick the last 2-3 days, nothing clearly wrong with him but not eating and spending time in a corner. Usually he follows us around, is super curious and just a joy to behold.

I've been changing the water 50% every 3 days (so three WC now), cleaned out the canister filter a week ago, but nothing else so far as I know fish sometimes have temporary constipation or swim bladder issues.

This morning he looks worse, struggling to keep upright. He does have some red at his gills and the base of his fins but I'm fairly certain that's his natural coloration (bleeding heart it's called?)

I did have a group of Congo tetras develop sepsis in this tank but that was over a year ago, I had isolated them and treated them etc. They other fish in the tank (the same ones below) were all fine. I had treated the rest of the tank too with antibiotics. The angelfish might have a bit of red at the base of his fins but its hard to tell. None of the usual red bloody streaks one sees with sepsis.

Not sure if I should isolate him (I can set up a hospital tank quickly) but I know that would stress him etc.

90g tank running for 4 years, moderately planted
Eheim canister filter 2017
Ph 7.8, temp 24C
Amm 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 30 or so (from a few days ago I'll check again tonight)
5 angelfish (only one full size, the sick one)
25 ish tetras of all sorts
A few cories
A royal farlowella

I have most common medications but being in Canada it's now illegal to buy some :( Ive been keeping fish for year, and they come and go but dang it if we havent become attached to this guy. He was a rescue from a bad petshop and was doing great for 6 months.

george3.jpg

short videos, last night vs this morning

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
I have had a number of angels do this to me. Eventually they kinda start topling over on themselves and require manual help to stay upright. I don't know what it is but without help I would say it's mortal whatever it is. gonna follow, curious if you find a culprit or a cure.

Good luck to you and I believe George the angel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Same here. I think it might be malnutrition as one cause. I had an Angel have the balance problem with bloated stomach and medications didn't change a thing. I did by coincidence later add beefheart to the daily meals with the usual cooked shrimps and high quality flake foods. She's doing much better..a bit bloated,but not struggling to be upright. Beefheart is sort of like live worms? Not sure.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
actually, I did have one that survived. This one I'm sure was bloated, the others I always felt like they had swim bladder issues.

She was swimming sideways a bit, sorta of swaying. I had another tank so I was able to pull her and put her in there. Didn't feed her for 24 hours and she made a full recovery in that 24 hours. Since she has had a handful of spawns. Since he mate has died and hasn't picked up another male as a mate yet.

But the others that did have swelling in their bellies it was always sort of random or on one side only. These did not die and would end up only lasting for about 2-3 days. One I did try to nurse in a shrimp tank but it only got an extra day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts