The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've purchased a new rimless tank to be planted, it's a 25 gallon tank with dimensions of 15.7"x15.7"x24". I'm really looking forward to getting it going. When I was in the shop, they had one planted (to absolutely beautiful effect I might add) and they were running a tube light (t5o or something like that), but I mentioned to the shop proprietor that I was more interested in getting LED. He flat out told me that they're no good for planted tanks and the "technology wasn't there yet".

I've done a decent chunk of reading and I wasn't of that understanding, am I mistaken?

I really want medium light to medium-high in the tank and was considering one of the Finnex Ray II lights. If there is something else that I should be considering (they just seem to be a really good price point), I'd love to hear what people here have to say about the matter.

If the Finnex Ray II is a good choice, what color combination should I be running for best growth? (again, medium to high level of light is my general interest)

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
So, I've purchased a new rimless tank to be planted, it's a 25 gallon tank with dimensions of 15.7"x15.7"x24". I'm really looking forward to getting it going. When I was in the shop, they had one planted (to absolutely beautiful effect I might add) and they were running a tube light (t5o or something like that), but I mentioned to the shop proprietor that I was more interested in getting LED. He flat out told me that they're no good for planted tanks and the "technology wasn't there yet".

I've done a decent chunk of reading and I wasn't of that understanding, am I mistaken?

I really want medium light to medium-high in the tank and was considering one of the Finnex Ray II lights. If there is something else that I should be considering (they just seem to be a really good price point), I'd love to hear what people here have to say about the matter.

If the Finnex Ray II is a good choice, what color combination should I be running for best growth? (again, medium to high level of light is my general interest)
Hi hoody123,

Yes, LED's today can certainly grow plants in most tanks. The key is to get ones that have the correct spectrum (K) to grow plants. They also need to have sufficient output to provide the PAR rating needed down to the substrate level. With your tank being 24" deep getting sufficient PAR down to the substrate level for the plant species you would like to grow may be difficult.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I guess I didn't list the measurements in the correct order, the width is 24, it's only 15.7" deep.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hi hoody123,

You should have no problem getting an LED fixture that can provide good light levels to that depth.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
The Finnex seem to be pretty good, the color temp is decent, but they may not pop out the red colors as rich as say t5's. I have not tried the Finnex of the A&H supply LED's, but they have plenty of PAR for any plants. Colors? Yet to be determined thus far.

They might. They might not. The 3w Cree have not been able to thus far IME.

·
Registered
327 Posts
All I have to say is I replaced my Catalina 3xT5HO fixture with a 48" Finnex Ray2 on my 75 and in three weeks I had BBA over everything and my red colored plants began to fade. My Finnex Ray2 has become an accent light a very expensive accent light.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
All I have to say is I replaced my Catalina 3xT5HO fixture with a 48" Finnex Ray2 on my 75 and in three weeks I had BBA over everything and my red colored plants began to fade. My Finnex Ray2 has become an accent light a very expensive accent light.
Well, there you go.

·
Super Moderator
15,243 Posts
In my experience, the PAR is definitely there for most of the Finnex fixtures but colors? Not so much. Red Crypts - the easiest plant to keep red - are no longer red (they're red with every other LED fixture I've got, though). The claimed color temp also seems to be a bit off.

Definitely worth the price tag, though, for the cheaper fixtures.

If I needed something that cost more than $100? I'd go the DIY route.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, I appreciate all the responses. I'm not by any means "stuck" on Finnex, it just seems like a reasonable light for the money. If anyone has any other specific suggestions for someone like me (who is not particularly technical) as to a good LED setup for a tank of this size, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
1. An $70 LED Flood light (made for landscape purposes) + a Giesemann Midday T5HO seem to work very well. The Flood by itself produces light that is way too white (but not blue):
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/86432-anybody-tried-flood-led-light.html

2. PAR38 screw-in LEDs. Now this is both nice looking AND apparently works very well:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/aquascaping/86498-dogfishs-40-a.html

3. Good read to have in mind about the spectrum of bulbs and how good are they for plants really:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/86514-why-my-favorite-german-bulb-may.html

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

Concerning led lighting read through this thread.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198196

1 - 14 of 14 Posts