The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I'm being given a tank filter etc from a friend whos moving. 8 Year old fish that I DONT want to kill. Plan to drip acclimate. He apparently uses a heater on a timer which doesn't sound like he's keeping stable temperatures. I'm concerned because the temporary tank I've set up I filled with RO/DI water. His fish will obviously be used to tap water. What I'd like to know, how much seachem equilibrium should I add to be at a medium range for drip acclimating his fish tonight. Or should I just use tap water?

·
Registered
852 Posts
depending on the size of the tank,I've used 5 gallon water bottles to move a tank of fish and their water.Usually about 5 bucks each that you get back when you turn them in.The last tank I did this with was a 55 gallon I bought used with fish,I saved most of the water when I moved it,then the water I added at the new location was just like a typical water change.

They rinse and sanitize those before they use them again anyway.I still have one I use for my tanks here.The last time I did this I never lost a fish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So for now I've added a bit of equilib and potassium bicarb to the 40 gallon temp tank. When I get the fish and tank tonight I'll take the 6 gallon bucket I have full of old water and whatever buckets he may have for me to use as well with water. The rest I will use as tap. Also planning to drip acclimate the fish for about an hour. They are 2 large goldfish and an upside down catfish. Hoping the 20 minute drive from my place won't kill them from ammonia in the bucket....

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Are they on the same water company/system? Did prior owner use tap water?
Take a test kit with you.
Take a sample home with you and test it.
Then adjust the water in the new tank to just about the same GH, KH and TDS as they are in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.