The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done some searching, and it maybe I just didnt use the right search terms to find my answer but heres my question.

What length of time do you generally give your newly tanks before adding fish? Im slowly starting up a 46g bf, and should be adding some Aquasoil in the next few weeks. Then I will order some plant package.. The tank will have pressurized CO2, along with t5 lighting. Do you generally let the tank sit fishless for a few weeks after putting plants in to get things settled? Or should you just put fish in a few days after plants? or at the same time?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Put the AS in. Plant.

Have an old tank you can use the mulm from? It'll speed up your cycle. Check for nitrites and ammonia. When they're 0, you can put fish in. Takes about a week for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unforunately, I dont have any other freshwater tanks...my other tanks are all saltwater...

My thought was to plant, then play with the co2, get the levels right, and then add fish...I was thinking maybe 4 weeks to add fish, but I dunno is that to long?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links...

I used to keep freshwater tanks(no plants) many years ago, and I would either just get a couple of hardy fish, such as mollies, and cycle a tank with them, or at the end I used just regular ammonia.

Rex's guide is very interesting as it states that plants love ammonia, and if you have enough plants you can add a large bio-load shortly after adding them. Has anyone actually done this?

Im thinking about getting a school of cardinals, or neons...and would love to add all at once if the plants are gonna soak everything up. I just dont know if that is actually true about adding such a large bio-load on such a new tank.

How long does it usually take to get your co2 adjusted?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I could have swore I had a reply already to this thread. I guess a "mystery" Mod is deleting my posts. They could at least have the courtesy to tell me why.

I have started many tanks with the method outlined in my Guide. As have many other people.

But with the AS it might change things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could have swore I had a reply already to this thread. I guess a "mystery" Mod is deleting my posts. They could at least have the courtesy to tell me why.

I have started many tanks with the method outlined in my Guide. As have many other people.

But with the AS it might change things.
Thanks for the info Rex...Im new to AS, how much Ammonia does AS "generally" leach? Would I have to do considerable water changes to keep it down or is it just a little spike?

I did read your guide about dosing ferts, and I have read from past posts, either you or Tom Barr(I cant remember which), said that you should still dose even with AS. I have also read in some posts, that some people dont dose with AS. What is recommended and why? Your fert guide just talks about how or what to dose, but doesnt give any indication of any substrate info like AS.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Tom loves AS. Tom also says to dose. Tom has also found that aquatic plants prefer to take up nutrients though the leaves.

Dose the water column.

I have never used AS so I can't tell you how big of a ammonia spike you are going to see. And I have a feeling that it's going to vary from tank to tank.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom loves AS. Tom also says to dose. Tom has also found that aquatic plants prefer to take up nutrients though the leaves.

Dose the water column.

I have never used AS so I can't tell you how big of a ammonia spike you are going to see. And I have a feeling that it's going to vary from tank to tank.
I guess that leaves me with sticking with my original plan to setup the tank, plant it, then get the co2 right, and dose, and watch and wait for about a few weeks to get everything working and operating properly before adding any fish just to be on the safe side..

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I have always started up my tanks with only a week wait, and that just to be sure I haven't done something drastically wrong, and the plants will survive. Then I add a very few of the cheapest fish I want to keep, usually guppies or platies. After a couple of weeks I just add a few fish a week until I have all that I want in the tank. But, I also make sure I have lots of plants in the tank when I start - like over half the substrate covered with plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts