The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed two things yesterday evening and I want to know how I should attack it.

1) I noticed two fishes whose tails are starting to turn red. Please help ID

2) All my parameters are normal EXCEPT noticed my PH is unusually low. I have since added an air stone next to my sump's pump to get fine mist of oxygen in my display, in case not enough. I don't see fish acting any differently. Just the two fish with tails turning red.

Specs:
29 gallon display with 10 gallon sump
78f degrees
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5-10 Nitrate
1 drop KH
6 pH (usually 7ish)
Maxed out fish stock

I change 25% total water twice a week, and currently fighting bba.
Any help with ID'ing / addressing the red tails and low pH would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The fish you picture come from water with that low pH, I do not think it is a problem. Sparkling Gouramis have colored fins- or is there more there than should be red?

However, if you want to raise the pH a little bit add some potassium bicarbonate or sodium bicarbonate. If you use baking soda the recipe is: 1 teaspoon per 30 gallons will raise the KH by 2 German degrees of hardness. IME this will raise the pH from about 6 (or a bit under) to about 6.2.
You could certainly try half as much, make sure it is well dissolved, and see what reaction there is from the fish. Then add a bit more, see if it is OK.

Do you have more than one of each of these? Do you know if these are males or females? These fish might be a bit pushy toward their own species- are you noticing any social issues?
Sphaerichthys osphromenoides ? Chocolate Gourami ? Seriously Fish
Trichopsis pumila ? Sparkling Gourami (Ctenops pumilus, Trichopsis pumilus var. siamensis) ? Seriously Fish

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fish you picture come from water with that low pH, I do not think it is a problem. Sparkling Gouramis have colored fins- or is there more there than should be red?

Do you have more than one of each of these? Do you know if these are males or females? These fish might be a bit pushy toward their own species- are you noticing any social issues?
The tank is established over a year, and the two fish pictures are original tenants. Socially, all the fish get along considering i didnt know you shouldnt mix gouramis until after i stocked the tank. No bullys. That's why I was worried with the tails having a reddish hue to them, especially at the outline.
The only thing I found after researching was fin rot. So I'm hoping it is not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update to yesterday's post. My PH levels have increased slightly to 6.2. I am not so concerned with the pH level anymore. The fins on my fish are getting worse. See the attached picture. Any recommendations would be helpful. Does it look like fin rot?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.