The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I was just wondering what would be considered a "beginner" red plant. I have a 29 gallon tank with 48 watts t-5 ho lighting via an Aquatic life fixture. The light is mounted to the rim of the tank using the supplied legs. I used pressurized co2 and started dosing EI dry ferts.

some plants that interest me are:
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Ammania gracilis
ludiwigia "red"
maybe some rotalas?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Don't start with the Ammannia, it is a tough plant to grow! Persicaria [Polygonum] sp. might work though. Both are quite a large growing plant for a 29 gallon tank however. Ammannia well grown has a stem-leaf width of about 8". Mine is feeling poorly and is about 6" across and my fairly happy Persicaria Kawagoeanum is about 5" across.

I haven't grown Alternanthera but Rotalas and Ludwigia should work fine for you. Ludwigia 'Red' has grown out very well for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi. MMF, I agree with Kathy. My first red plant was a red ludwigia and its responding very well to liquid ferts 110watt T5ho and co2 in a 55 gallon! I see no problem with your setup for that plant not to thrive. Many people have reported keeping Nymphaea rubra in moderate/low tech setups with success and their really red too!! Also if your feeling confident enough give rotala rotundifolia a shot! It will show deeper reds in higher light but still looks great in lower light setups! Good luck with your search, hope We can help!:)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
depends on the reflectors. i had 72 with coralifes o nthe tank of my 29. barely turned pinkish touching the suface of the water
i have 96watts wit ha tek hung about 11 inches over the tank and it'll get red if it touches the surface of the water

when i used 48 wats with the tek 3 inches above the surface. it turned red 4 inches from the surface of the water

it depends on how much light actually makes it to the plant :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
My very first red plant was the A reineckii so I would definitely suggest it.
I also currently have sunset hygro, not necessary red, but displays a nice pink color.
And my last recommendation is Limnophila aromatica. These can turn a nice purple-reddish color.
I have all 3 in my tank, no CO2 and they look pretty good. You wouldn't have any problem with them with your setup imo.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Limnophila aromatica
Dwarf Red Lilly
Tiger Lotus

These are all easy and will even grow well in a low tech mid light set up easy.

And I agree with Blazing wolf on the Repens.. Needs lots of light.

·
Registered
559 Posts
REPENS, is not a good red plant for beinngers. it needs LIGHT
plain ol ludwigia however is a differnet story it grows red just about anywhere
I'm a little confused by this --what do you mean by "repens" and what do you mean by "plain ol ludwigia" ? When I hear "plain ol ludwigia" I think of Ludwigia repens.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies! It seems like alternanthera is the way to go!
I have had ludwigia repens previously, It grew very well but only had pink undersides. The only reason I got rid of it was a temporary loss of sanity one day during cleaning!

I might also look into ludwigia "red" and the l. aromatica.

I will keep everybody posted as I am hoping to do some rescaping soon!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Ludwigia sp. 'red' is possibly the easiest plant to get to deep true red (not brown). Very easy to grow too!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
FOOT IN MOUTH. i was reminded. there are varients of each species. as u can see above. mine is more purply :)

i think it was plantbrain that had two different varients of rotala macrandra. one was more pink, and one more orange grown in the same location same lights some everything

1 - 20 of 27 Posts