The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a quick question for everybody. I got myself a 10 gallon tank the other day and is currently cycling. It is going to be a planted/shrimp tank which I may add a small school of tetras to in a few months if it seems viable. What I'm asking is how many shrimp I would want to start with to get a colony set up, I was thinking 15 or so and go from there? My other question is as they start reproducing, is it possible to have too many shrimp in the tank, or is there such a thing? Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have 2 Cardinal Tetras in my tank with Red Cherry and Malawa (even smaller than RCS) shrimp and I've never seen them aggressive toward the shrimp. My tetras are actually very timid. Unless other species are more aggressive.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are there any colourful schooling fish that I could get with shrimp? I would like to have a small school is possible to have more going on in the mid-upper level of the tank.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can try Endlers. I have them and they are pretty much the same size as RCS. Pretty much zero chance of attacks lol. I love those Endlers. I think they look awesome and they have more personality than my other fish. They are very active and tend to swim all over the place. Try googling Black Bar Endlers. I saw some people selling them in Swap N Shop. Trust me when I say they are much cheaper than what I paid for at a fish store.

I have regular Guppy, Glofish and Zebra Danios as well. Honestly none of them attacks the shrimps. Sometimes I see them grabbing food out of the shrimps' grasp then they just go on their merry ways.

·
Registered
342 Posts
what type of shrimp are you thinking about? tetras won't bother larger size shrimps (ie, bamboo and amanos, etc). but if you're talking about smaller shrimps, you can still keep them but i don't know if the babies will survive..

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Neons and cardinals generally will not go after the adult shrimp. But will definitely eat babies. However if you provide hiding places you'll still end up with new generations. However I find Danios to be too hyperactive and the shrimp end up hiding a lot. In either fish case your shrimp will most likely hide a lot more. In shrimp only tanks you can always see a bunch swimming around the tank or hovering in place. In my opinion much nicer than schooling fish :)

·
Super Moderator
15,291 Posts
If a fish can fit it in its mouth? It's food. That goes for Endlers, too. Even juveniles. They'll chow down on shrimplets if given the opportunity. Adult shrimp, not so much. (I've even had adult Cherries fight back at Endlers encroaching on their tasty morsels at the bottom)

Shrimp and fish can definitely be kept together. Just be aware that your shrimp population isn't going to necessarily be able to grow like it one in a single species tank.

I often transfer Lime Green Endlers to my shrimp tanks if I'm not interested in breeding or can't deal with population explosions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what type of shrimp are you thinking about? tetras won't bother larger size shrimps (ie, bamboo and amanos, etc). but if you're talking about smaller shrimps, you can still keep them but i don't know if the babies will survive..
That's the part I haven't figured out yet, I was thinking RCS or something similar, but have to find out what pricing is like on those. Does anybody know of any sites that ship livestock to Canada? I've looked around online and haven't had much luck at all.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found out the shrimp lab has a Canadian site that is quite reasonably priced, will probably order from there as the Canadian sns is a tad bit inactive. I figure I'll start out with 10 or 15 and go from there. If I were to go with a combination of Snowball and Painted Red shrimp would there be any issues with them breeding together and then ruining the looks, or will I want to stick with just one species?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've understood that Harlequinn Rasboras would be ok tank mates as well considering they most stay up top.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Found out the shrimp lab has a Canadian site that is quite reasonably priced, will probably order from there as the Canadian sns is a tad bit inactive. I figure I'll start out with 10 or 15 and go from there. If I were to go with a combination of Snowball and Painted Red shrimp would there be any issues with them breeding together and then ruining the looks, or will I want to stick with just one species?
Snowballs and Red's can't be kept together as with yellows as well, those 3 can't be together in any combo.

Where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in Hamilton, near Toronto.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snowballs and Red's can't be kept together as with yellows as well, those 3 can't be together in any combo.

Where abouts are you in Canada? I'm in Hamilton, near Toronto.
Is there a way to find out what species will work together? I would like to have a variety of colours if possible. And I'm from Calgary, where it seems I'd be spending $15/shrimp locally to get them.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ah, ok, if you were in my area, I'd sell you some juvi cherries for like $1 a piece or something to get started, but I've never shipped shrimp and have no intentions at the moment, so have a look around and see whats more available in that neck of the woods.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there a way to find out what species will work together? I would like to have a variety of colours if possible. And I'm from Calgary, where it seems I'd be spending $15/shrimp locally to get them.
Red Cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp are a good combo. The Amanos are more active and can be a little bit of food hog but that's what makes them interesting. Don't worry though your Red Cherries will have enough food to eat if your tank's established and it's planted. I feed my shrimp once every 2 days or maybe 3 sometimes. My Amanos are bit dog like in its behavior, pretty cool to watch. Sometimes they'll swim and hop all over the tank. Get 10 Red Cherries and 3 or 4 Amanos.

Oh the Amanos are not going to breed though since they need brackish water for that. They live in freshwater fine. Not sure if you're OK with that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts