The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm very happy that i had setup a planted tank recently and my very first one so hope that i'll be able to keep it running nicely and healthy.
As i am very new to planted tank,i face some problem regarding the PH.
Hope all the senior's here can guide me alittle and help me solve my problem,Thank You!

My tank PH is always high in the day when lights r on at 9
& at night and when the lights r off it when down to 8.2 & the KH is at the low side 4 dkh.
I try to buble up the co2 abit to bring down the PH but it went higher so i decided to off the co2 to see whether it will go down,is that ok?
I had some coral chips inside my filter media,is that the cause that make my PH raises?
One more thing is that i see a lot of tiny co2 buble on the surface and it looks like very concentrated,is that ok too?

BTW,I got quite a number of plant in my tank but i not sure abt the name but r those cheap ones that i bought fr my LFS.
I also have 2 diftwood and a few rocks for decor.
I had 10 siamese alage eater and 2 sword tail fishes as well.
I will try to post a pics of my tank asap.
Thanks in advance!

My set up r :

Tank: 90 x 60 x 60cm (overflow with sub tank) About 450L (120 gallon)
Flow: 3000l/h (return pump)
Lighting: 2x39w T5 HO( running 10hrs daily)
Co2: 1 buble/s running when lights r on(5L cylinder with soleniod valve)
substrate: American Sand
Base soil Fertilizer: JBJ
Filter Media: Bio home, ceramic rings & very little of coral chips

Water parameter:
PH: 8-9 (PH Pen)
KH: 4 dkh(sera)
Nh3: 0
No2: 0
No3: 5 ppm

Regards,
Sam

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
My tank PH is always high in the day when lights r on at 9
& at night and when the lights r off it when down to 8.2 & the KH is at the low side 4 dkh.
A dkH of 4 is fine.

I try to buble up the co2 abit to bring down the PH but it went higher so i decided to off the co2 to see whether it will go down,is that ok?
CO2 should not bring up your pH in any circumstance. I would just leave it on to try to bring the pH down.

I had some coral chips inside my filter media,is that the cause that make my PH raises?
This is very likely; coral chips will definitely cause your pH to rise. I would remove these from your filter.

One more thing is that i see a lot of tiny co2 buble on the surface and it looks like very concentrated,is that ok too?
This is fine. However, it does mean that a lot of your CO2 is being wasted if it reaches the surface of the water. How are you diffusing your CO2?

BTW,I got quite a number of plant in my tank but i not sure abt the name but r those cheap ones that i bought fr my LFS.
Pictures would help us identify your plants!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Darkblade48,

First of all,thanks for the info & advise.

I already follow the advise given by you to leave the co2 on & the PH has gone down to 7.9 in the day time when lights r on,tks....
I had also removed the coral chips as well.

This is fine. However, it does mean that a lot of your CO2 is being wasted if it reaches the surface of the water. How are you diffusing your CO2?
I'm using a glass diffuser to diffuse the co2,any solution to minimize the lost of co2?

Thanks for the help,i really appreciate that.

regards,
Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It looks like there's not much CO2 circulation going on (more wasted than used) because the diffuser is located on the left corner... You can reposition it below the outflow for better distribution (and CO2 break-up) around your tank... Just a suggestion...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like there's not much CO2 circulation going on (more wasted than used) because the diffuser is located on the left corner... You can reposition it below the outflow for better distribution (and CO2 break-up) around your tank... Just a suggestion...

Hi,

I've re-adjusted the diffuser position and add a small pump above it for better circulation.
Thanks for d advise.

Regards,
Sam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.