The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
JAVA MOSS though it's an rather slow growers, under the conditions u have listed out they grow fast. I've ever kept JM with and without ferts, after add ferts (flourish comp & flourish iron) they grow rather fast:) just make sure there no excess lighting to prevent algae from growing in the actually miss itself:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Christmas moss for the win! Just as easy to grow as java moss in my experience but better aesthetics
I cannot grow xmas moss, well i can but never to its fully potential as a grower in singapore, full thick triangle fronds. Mine always grows in irregularly, still looks nice but still...

It is definitely a harder moss not for the win hehe:nerd:
could be you don't actually have true xmas moss, i'd bet on it
any taxiphyllum is a good beginner moss

others to try out:
fissidens fontanus
weeping moss (fast pile on grower, to achieve its uniqueness is different though)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
To grow any moss optimally takes time. the little fronds can naturally grow and position themselves to have maximum access to light and food in a way we can not slap together by making a pile of the stuff. Now that I caught on to that, I'm even positioning single fingers of java on wood and just leaving it to grab and expand. That reminds me, I have a piece of mopani in the garage, maybe I can start a micro project for us to demonstrate.Will have to find a way to use sunlight, as I am out of light sources and not sure I'd stick that wood in my tank again. I have spray painted in the garage....

Oh an don't throw it in the bottom of the tank, keep it close to the light if you want fast growth.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
To grow any moss optimally takes time
I could say that my moss grows optimally in a very short period when put into my tanks...

the little fronds can naturally grow and position themselves to have maximum access to light and food in a way we can not slap together..
when you said this, it just clicked in my head, thank you for that. the last part of the sentence i just didn't get.

Will have to find a way to use sunlight, as I am out of light sources and not sure I'd stick that wood in my tank again
just use indirect sunlight, the cooler your weather is the more light you can yous. direct, close to direct, will fry your moss in a day if you don't keep it moist.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
"slap together" By this I mean the cushions of moss people sow on to stuff with nylon.

It is finally winter, cold as a freezer, its probably 55 degrees outside, but some sun.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
So long as you prevent the introduction of hair algae you should be able to grow any moss. IME the most fool-hardy one is erect moss (Vesicularia reticulata). Grows in a wide range of temperatures, water chemistry, and lighting conditions. It can take over a nano tank if you let it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't put Java Moss anywhere near a medium light CO2 tank.

Java moss is a pain to trim. Any trims you don't remove will resettle somewhere else and start growing.

If you have any carpeting plants, don't let JM anywhere near it, it will infest it and you'll need to keep pulling it out.

It is VERY weedy in medium to high light.

·
Banned
90 Posts
I cannot grow xmas moss, well i can but never to its fully potential as a grower in singapore, full thick triangle fronds. Mine always grows in irregularly, still looks nice but still...

It is definitely a harder moss not for the win hehe:nerd:
could be you don't actually have true xmas moss, i'd bet on it
any taxiphyllum is a good beginner moss

others to try out:
fissidens fontanus
weeping moss (fast pile on grower, to achieve its uniqueness is different though)
I think that's a bet you'd lose, lol. I bought my Christmas moss from a very well regarded LFS with an extensive selection of aquatic flora and the little tub it came it was clearly labeled "Christmans Moss."

This random website agrees with me that it's a moss well suited for beginners.

Your allusion to "full thick fronds" gives me some pause because (from what I've read at least..) Christmas moss is notable for its relative lack of fullness- at least when compared to similar looking mosses like Peacock, Taiwan, or Mini Christmas moss. Might you be conflating xmas moss with those aforementioned? Source here

In any case, I've attached a photo of my tank. If it's not christmas moss in there I'd love for someone to identify it correctly for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Looks like Christmas moss to me!

I've got nothing else to add as I kill moss. I was told a while ago to lower my tank temps which I have done, just haven't ordered any to see if that was the problem or not.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I think that's a bet you'd lose, lol. I bought my Christmas moss from a very well regarded LFS with an extensive selection of aquatic flora and the little tub it came it was clearly labeled "Christmans Moss."

This random website agrees with me that it's a moss well suited for beginners.

Your allusion to "full thick fronds" gives me some pause because (from what I've read at least..) Christmas moss is notable for its relative lack of fullness- at least when compared to similar looking mosses like Peacock, Taiwan, or Mini Christmas moss. Might you be conflating xmas moss with those aforementioned? Source here

In any case, I've attached a photo of my tank. If it's not christmas moss in there I'd love for someone to identify it correctly for me.
Yup i lost the bet. that is legit xmas moss.
As far as how your growing it, that is beginner growth at best as well, its not its POTENTIAL.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
In a low tech can you get beautiful moss growth simply by moving it closer to light?

Reactions: Nordic

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
For me the problem with Java moss is when you grow it out you've got....well....Java moss. It was the first moss I got and I think I may have finally got rid of all of it! I just don't care for the look of it. YMMV

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got a mixed ball of moss and put it in my low tech betta tank (i.e. 79F water, moderate water movement). While I'm not sure of the exact ID's of the species, I think I've had the most growth with flame and spiky moss. I got some fissidens and NL which are both doing pretty well considering they're starting from a couple of fronds each. The willow moss, on the other hand, came thick and beautiful but transitioned poorly. It's just starting to show green growth after a month, and it's very thin and lanky.

The takeaway? Sometimes it helps to just throw things in the tank and see what sticks around!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.