The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i recently bought a cycled tank on craiglist that came with an eheim pro 2, heater etc and I would like to add some live plants. I was wondering what are some recommended plants for beginners and is there a way of avoiding soil in the substrate and adding CO2 etc because I have already filled the tank.In other words are there any plants that can survive just on fish/food waste and light coming from the window/bulb by jsut being planted in the substrate without any additional needs.IF that's impossible what is the easiest way around it,b/c i dont really wanna empty my tank.

Thanks
Mitko

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm pretty new to the hobby but have tried a few different types of tanks and have killed a lot of plants due mainly to impatience. I just read Walstad's ecology of a planted aquarium and that juxtaposed with everything I've read here and elsewhere has left me more confused than ever but I am convinced by the book that starting out with some dirt under your substrate is a solid idea for a non co2 tank that you don't want to fertilize. Her book also comes to mind since your talking about light from a window. She's all for it. How big is this tank anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Completey forgot that she discussed this idea for adding soil to tanks that are allready filled. Wrap chunks of it in wax paper and scotch tape it shut and slide it under the substrate you have, it will gradually disolve. If you punch holes in the paper after its inserted the process is sped up.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Try Anubias spp. and Java Fern - both of those just cling to rocks/wood, and are both pretty tolerant plants.

I'd avoid CO2, and go with low-tech for now. it's a bit easier, takes less maintenance, and is less expensive.

If you don't have your tank planted, you could just put the fish in a bucket w/ most (or all) of the tank water, drain it down, and then put in dirt under your gravel, plant it, and then refill and return the fish to it. with a bit of prep and planning, you could probably do the whole process in a couple hours (depending on the size of your tank)

Otherwise, I'd go with the Anubias/Java fern, and let the mulm build up in your gravel

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your quick responses! My tank is a 90 gallon bowfront!So if i was to drain my tank and put soil for my plants how exactly should I do it.I mean should i empty the entire tank first and then remove the gravel->put the soil->put the gravel back on top or could I just mix it with the gravel when there's a little bit of water left.Also what type of soil is recommended and how much should I put?Do the ferns and anubias recommended above spread fast?

Sorry for putting so many questions but I'm not exactly sure of what to do.Maybe if you can give me a link to a youtube vid that might be very helpful

Thanks
Mitko

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.