The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently starting up a new 36 gallon bow front aquarium measurements 30x15x21, i use to have a 10 gallon a long time ago but nothing since and am now getting back into the hobby. I am considering doing a planted tank and need help deciding what t5ho size i should go with. Would a 30" t5ho setup running 4 bulbs be enough light for most plants or would i need to maybe go with a 36" unit with a little of an overhang with the lighting.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you look at the lighting charts in the first post here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

You will see that a good 2 bulb T5HO fixture will give you high light. You will need co2 injection and a good fertilizer regiment to go with those lights. You shouldn't need any hang over, however the 36" bulbs are a little more plentiful than the 30" ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so 4 bulb would be way to much i guess that maybe 2 36" bulbs would be the way to go. I will be doing a diy co2 system for the tank as well and for the substrate i plant to have a bottom layer of fertilizer with a layer of Tahitian moon sand above that.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
so 4 bulb would be way to much i guess that maybe 2 36" bulbs would be the way to go. I will be doing a diy co2 system for the tank as well and for the substrate i plant to have a bottom layer of fertilizer with a layer of Tahitian moon sand above that.
DIY as in, yeast and sugar? that will not produce enough co2 needed for a high light tank. If you went with a T5HO dual bulb, you will need to raise the fixture up per the chart link'd.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont know if i will do any high light requiring plants but i do know i might want some hc and maybe some amazon swords.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i plan on having the hc towards the top of the tank on a piece of driftwood im thinking about getting. dont know if ill put any on the substrate.
If that's the case, consider a two bulb fixture running only one bulb. Try it for a good while ( aka at least 3-4 months) and see if it works for you. If not you can go to two bulbs. If you don't need the light I generally don't recommend adding it. It just complicates things. You want light to limit your growth, not ferts or co2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im getting a good deal on a used 50 gal with stand, canopy, tank, lighting, and hob filter. so the 36 will probably get sold

1 - 12 of 12 Posts