The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 40 gallon reef tank.

Now I have an empty Nuvo Fusion 20 tank that I would like to do a freshwater planted setup in.

For those not familiar it is a 20 gallon rimless all in one aquarium.

I was wondering if the filtration on this tank would be okay. I was planning on running filter floss, and perhaps some ceramic media to give the bacteria some surface area to grow on.

Also I'm planning on using a 165w Full spectrum LED light. It was enough light to grow SPS corals but I'm wondering if the spectrum would be okay for plants.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If your running the media you said I don't see a problem I run filter floss and lava rock in my sump on my planted tank. Most of your plants are going to do the heavy work of bio and as long as you have enough plants you shouldn't have nothing to worry about. as far as your lights. I was always told that if they can grow coral they are to strong for plants. however some might disagree. I really can't help you on the LED as the only LEd i have is the finnex 24/7 planted + on my 75g. and they work great however they are lower Kelvin. I think if you can lower your Kelvin rating you should be fine. But I will let someone else chime in on lighting that knows more about LEDs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
165w of LEDs is an incredibly amount of power and will be a ton for pretty much any plant that you want. Generally for planted aquariums, unless the aquarium is very deep, the max I have seen recommended is 5-8w/ gallon for lighting with t5 bulbs. LEDs are noticeably brighter. However, corals and freshwater plants prefer different Kelvin light so you will need to look that up. I do not know how difficult it would be to reprogram your LEDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.