The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! My first tank is up and running and fully cycled and I’m finally ready to go get fish. I’ve done a fair amount of reading but it is a little overwhelming. I’m will be going to a recommended LFS this weekend that’s a little ways away. Will definitely be asking them for advice, but would love to hear thoughts or suggestions on what to look for/avoid.

Tank photo below. Moderately planted. 77-78 degrees. pH without CO2 is 6.8 (planning on shutting off CO2 and gradually reintroducing). GH and KH both around 5.

thinking about getting:
2 types of small schooling fish, 6-8 fish each.

some sort of “cleanup crew”, maybe corys, bristlenose pleico, or loaches

and that’s it for now.
Thoughts suggestions??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you mean when you said "planning on shutting off CO2 and gradually reintroducing" ?
My understanding was that high levels of CO2 could displace oxygen in the water and make it difficult for the fish to breathe. Given that I'm totally new to this, I figured that the safest thing to do would be to eliminate the CO2 for at least a few days and then slowly turn it back on... please let me know if I'm totally misunderstanding this!

·
Registered
280 Posts
My understanding was that high levels of CO2 could displace oxygen in the water and make it difficult for the fish to breathe. Given that I'm totally new to this, I figured that the safest thing to do would be to eliminate the CO2 for at least a few days and then slowly turn it back on... please let me know if I'm totally misunderstanding this!
Your CO2 should come on about 1hr before the lights turn on, and it should go off about 30min before your lights turn off. To prevent your inhabitants from having trouble breathing you need to make sure your CO2 concentration doesn't get higher than 30ppm when CO2 is running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts