The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 90x45x45cm tank (183L / 48G) tank. Deciding between the Oase Biomaster 250 or 350? The 250 is rated for a max volume of 70 gallons max flow rate of 250 GPH. The specs do not state the min volume for 350 just stating it has a max volume of 90 gallons and max flow rate of 300 gallons. Will the 350 have a flow too strong or will it work fine as i may want to upgrade my tank size in the future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well, what are the fish your putting in there? its not a very large tank, if your putting something like cichlids that filter would be necessary bio load wise, I think it would work fine for a future upgrade, just watch out what fish you put in there as some don't thrive in high flow, like goldfish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be putting in tetras, danios and some bottom dwellers like Amano cherry shrimps, dwarf plecos, snails. How many tetras do you think is the maximum I can fit in a 50 g?

·
Registered
71 Posts
hmm, tetras vary greatly in size, but if your getting something like a neon tetras, you could fit around 10-20, but your going to need to tell me actual type of tetra, your water change schedule and the numbers of the other fish your keeping, I'm sorry if it sounds like a lot but to get a good guesstimate, I kind need that info

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The size of a tank a canister is rated for is basically nonsense created by a marketing team. What matters is the number of gallons or liters per hour. Also keep in mind this number is created without any head pressure on the canister filter and with no media in a canister filter at all. Add head pressure, media, regular gunk from the tank, and you can expect the actual outflow to drop in half. This is pretty common for canister filters. you want typically four to eight times turnover per hour for a filter in a tank. This means the 350 is the bare minimum size that you could get away with for a 48 gallon tank. Honestly getting a filter a little bigger wouldn't be a bad idea.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Get larger and reduce flow as needed. You'll be upgrading to a 100g soon enough 😄

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm, tetras vary greatly in size, but if your getting something like a neon tetras, you could fit around 10-20, but your going to need to tell me actual type of tetra, your water change schedule and the numbers of the other fish your keeping, I'm sorry if it sounds like a lot but to get a good guesstimate, I kind need that info
Cardinal Tetra 10
Ember Tetra 10
Blue Tetra 10
Celestial Pearl Danio 10
Oto 3
Amano Shrimp 6
Cherry Shrimp 6
Bristlenose Pleco 1
Zebra Pleco 2
Chinese Hillstream Loach 1
Nerite Snail 3

is this over stocked for a 48G?

The size of a tank a canister is rated for is basically nonsense created by a marketing team. What matters is the number of gallons or liters per hour. Also keep in mind this number is created without any head pressure on the canister filter and with no media in a canister filter at all. Add head pressure, media, regular gunk from the tank, and you can expect the actual outflow to drop in half. This is pretty common for canister filters. you want typically four to eight times turnover per hour for a filter in a tank. This means the 350 is the bare minimum size that you could get away with for a 48 gallon tank. Honestly getting a filter a little bigger wouldn't be a bad idea.
in that case if i get a biomaster 600 for 48g tank its still fine?

Get larger and reduce flow as needed. You'll be upgrading to a 100g soon enough 😄
reduce flow using ball valve? or are there better ways?

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
322 Posts
Cardinal Tetra 10
Ember Tetra 10
Blue Tetra 10
Celestial Pearl Danio 10
Oto 3
Amano Shrimp 6
Cherry Shrimp 6
Bristlenose Pleco 1
Zebra Pleco 2
Chinese Hillstream Loach 1
Nerite Snail 3

is this over stocked for a 48G?
Ummm.....

I think that is a bit too much for a 48 gal. Maybe cut all those numbers in half.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The 600 or the 850 would be your best bet. If you use their stock intake and return they have ability to turn down the flow built in, otherwise yes you can use a ball valve. That said, I doubt you will need to turn down the flow at all. The 600 has 350 gallons per hour advertised numbers. The 850 has 400 gallons per hour advertised flow. The oase filters are pretty spiffy but incredibly underpowered for their price range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 600 or the 850 would be your best bet. If you use their stock intake and return they have ability to turn down the flow built in, otherwise yes you can use a ball valve. That said, I doubt you will need to turn down the flow at all. The 600 has 350 gallons per hour advertised numbers. The 850 has 400 gallons per hour advertised flow. The oase filters are pretty spiffy but incredibly underpowered for their price range.
oh wow didnt know that i could use a 600 on a 48g. gonna trust you on this sir, hopefully its not too powerful

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.