The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to get serious about my tank game. I have a planted 5 gallon that I've had for about a year now and I'm taking readings on water parameters for the first time. What I found strange is that I measured the pH straight out of the tap and got a reading of 6.8/7.0. Normally I have water that I let sit for multiple days in plastic gallon milk jugs and after testing the tap water I tested the water in the jugs and found that the pH was 7.6 or possibly higher, since that's the highest result you can possibly get with my kit. I repeated the test on both sources multiple times and the answer held. Also i checked the water from my tank and it was also reading at the highest testable level. Any ideas why the discrepancy?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Your tap water likely has a high amount of dissolved carbon dioxide. As it off gasses that pH will rise.

How clean are the gallon used milk jugs you are using? I would consider buying a new 5 gallon water jug or a new 30 gallon garbage can to store the water in.

Ben

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The milk jugs are extremely clean. I've been meaning to replace them with something better for a while now but it sounds to me like you are saying that the change is more a factor of my local water chemistry than my storage method, which is good to know. Thanks for the response!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think KH and GH affect fish more than pH. You might get a better idea of what your water is like if you test those as well.
Roger that! I've been putting off water parameters because reading about all the numbers has been a little intimidating but I'm psyched to get this tank running in better shape. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.