The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - since I have harvested a lot of know-how and inspiration from this community, I will just check in and show current status of my nano-tank.

Last I had an aquarium is maybe 20 years ago - but with certain intervals during these years I've thought about starting again. Now in these Covid times, spending too much time working from home - It finally came back to me. I wanted to try out a high tech nano tank. Nano tank for two reasons: 1. not too much maintenance 2. space. Never gone hi-tec before though... Learning... Tank is about 3 mth's old

Tank appx. 5 gal./20 liters (25x25x30cm)
Eheim proff (way too powerfull - but got it cheap/used) exit valve not fully open to reduce flow
Tropica aqua soil "powder"
Hardscape: Dragon stone/iron wood
CO2 system
RO water re-salted to 150 TDS
Using std. all-in-one Tropica fert.
50% waterchange once a week
KH 3-4
DH 6
pH (morning) 7,0
Temp 24 celcius
Inhabitants: 8 Ember tetras, 6 Amano shrimp, 6 Neocaridina, 6 Caridina

So far I'm pretty satisfied - but would like to hear constructive feed back from all you experts. Too many different plants? Hardscape? poor looking Anubias (very small on hardscape with "white" new leaf growth) and so on. Also I'm trying to grow an Anubias ´petite´ partly emersed - not going that well.
Plant Water Green Vertebrate Botany
Plant Houseplant Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation
Plant Plant community Green Nature Organism
Green Rectangle Plant Organism Grass

BR Mikael

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello,
I think your tank looks good.
If you want more plant ideas then rotala would look goo with the other plant.
I like that you have a nutritious substrate.
You could also add cryptocoryne.
Are you using root tabs Or fertilize?
Also when you said nano tanks are easier maintenance that is not true and it’s actually the opposite because bigger tanks can handle the bio load and there is more room for mistakes.

But I think your tank looks good!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I think your tank looks good.
If you want more plant ideas then rotala would look goo with the other plant.
I like that you have a nutritious substrate.
You could also add cryptocoryne.
Are you using root tabs Or fertilize?
Also when you said nano tanks are easier maintenance that is not true and it’s actually the opposite because bigger tanks can handle the bio load and there is more room for mistakes.

But I think your tank looks good!
Thanks
Yes I also think Rotala is nice. At the moment i have the spiraling Vallisneria in the back (inflow/outflow) corner. But I'm not satisfied with it. It doesn't grow high enough - or maybe it just needs some more time? The corner is a bit dark so I'm not sure Rotala will do very good as an alternative to the Vallisneria? Any suggestions?

I actually have one Cryptocoryne vendtii in the other back corner. It is still very small (from one of these lab grown plants - Tropica 1-2-grow!) That one might grow too large for the tank at some point. But still I would like to find something "tall" for the back corners.

I'm not using root tabs - hope the substrate will manage for 1-2 years. I do however use ferts - just a standard "all inclusive" Tropica fert. It is a "once weekly" fert but I thinned it and dose it daily. Easier for me to remember and in theory it gives a more stable food source for the plants.

About maintenance - Yes, I agree. It's harder to maintain a stable biotope when the volume is small but the plant trimming, glass scraping and water changes are pretty easy work. It seems that I already have a pretty stable system. I guess it benefits greatly from the VERY lage filter volume compared to tank size. I actually have 2 liters (0.5 gallon) of Seachem Matrix biofilter media. That volume should be good for 1600 liter/400 gallon tank size :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks
Yes I also think Rotala is nice. At the moment i have the spiraling Vallisneria in the back (inflow/outflow) corner. But I'm not satisfied with it. It doesn't grow high enough - or maybe it just needs some more time? The corner is a bit dark so I'm not sure Rotala will do very good as an alternative to the Vallisneria? Any suggestions?

I actually have one Cryptocoryne vendtii in the other back corner. It is still very small (from one of these lab grown plants - Tropica 1-2-grow!) That one might grow too large for the tank at some point. But still I would like to find something "tall" for the back corners.

I'm not using root tabs - hope the substrate will manage for 1-2 years. I do however use ferts - just a standard "all inclusive" Tropica fert. It is a "once weekly" fert but I thinned it and dose it daily. Easier for me to remember and in theory it gives a more stable food source for the plants.

About maintenance - Yes, I agree. It's harder to maintain a stable biotope when the volume is small but the plant trimming, glass scraping and water changes are pretty easy work. It seems that I already have a pretty stable system. I guess it benefits greatly from the VERY lage filter volume compared to tank size. I actually have 2 liters (0.5 gallon) of Seachem Matrix biofilter media. That volume should be good for 1600 liter/400 gallon tank size :)
I think once everything grows out it Will start to look better and you could definitely remove the Val and replace it with rotala.
but I think it would be better to wait and see if everything grows out.
glad to hear about your trimming routine and since the crypts needs root tabs anyway I think root tabs would definitely help👍🏽.
though if you dont want rotala either then dwarf ludwigia is my go-to background plant. I’m not sure it’s small enough but I think it could be done.
ooh, and the tropica fertilizer is a good one too.
I think everything looks great and there is room for lots of growth.
hqve you had any algea problem?

·
Banned
628 Posts
Your like a time traveller from twenty years ago. Lighting has changed to LED. But tube lighting is still superior IMO. They have low iron rimless tanks now. Did they have those 20 years ago? I don't remember. I have a colorimeter for testing that I'm not sure existed 20 years ago. It probably did. Amano was innovating 25 years ago. Not that much has changed. Sure things change really fast in a smaller tank. That's kind of a given. But I can tell you'll manage the tank well. I don't see a spot of algae and the drop checker looks the right color. I think that Aqua-Soil and All-in-One Fertilizer you're using are working well. The plants look good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.