Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is more tolerant of higher TDS?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CRS ARE bee shrimp. And higher TDS doesn't say much. How high? I keep all grades of CRS in 180-200 TDS. Some folks keep them lower.
I was referring to the more wild form bee shrimp with the duller coloration. Will be back with a TDS measurement shortly (if I can get my new meter to work).

·
Registered
715 Posts
I was referring to the more wild form bee shrimp with the duller coloration. Will be back with a TDS measurement shortly (if I can get my new meter to work).
Could be wrong, but since wild forms are less likely kept in aquarium hobby they wouldn't be as tolerant to different parameter. From all sources I see higher grades are kept in sub 300 tds.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well looks like my tank's at around 150 ppm. I was expecting it to be higher from my mts substrate and petrified wood but I guess not. I take it this level is acceptable for pretty much any Caridina?

However I guess what I want to know is which type is less sensitive to levels higher than that (like around low 200s). Unfortunately as a student I do fall behind on my water changes sometimes when schoolwork gets intense. :icon_neut

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well looks like my tank's at around 150 ppm. I was expecting it to be higher from my mts substrate and petrified wood but I guess not. I take it this level is acceptable for pretty much any Caridina?

However I guess what I want to know is which type is less sensitive to levels higher than that (like around low 200s). Unfortunately as a student I do fall behind on my water changes sometimes when schoolwork gets intense. :icon_neut
That can vary from the source of the shrimp. Just really have to ask when you're buying.

·
Registered
635 Posts
CRS ARE bee shrimp. And higher TDS doesn't say much. How high? I keep all grades of CRS in 180-200 TDS. Some folks keep them lower.
Bee shrimp having many classes. There is just a shrimp call bee shrimp. It's known name to all shrimp keepers "bumble bee"

·
Registered
362 Posts
You should be fine as long as the tds contains more or less what the shrimp needs (if tap).

150 is where I keep my crs, and I know of people who keep them near 200. If your gh and kh are ok you should be fine, unless I am missing something.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Bee shrimp having many classes. There is just a shrimp call bee shrimp. It's known name to all shrimp keepers "bumble bee"
They can also be called wild bees. But for common clarification any CRS/CBS/Golden are called 'bee' shrimp.;) And for giggles, bumble bee/wild bees are often classified as 'low grade CRS/CBS' due to the coloration. So I felt clarification was necessary for the threads actual question. Honestly, we can spout off numbers and names all day and none of it matters, ask the source/breeder of the shrimp and try to match their parameters as closely as you can.

·
Registered
635 Posts
They can also be called wild bees. But for common clarification any CRS/CBS/Golden are called 'bee' shrimp.;) And for giggles, bumble bee/wild bees are often classified as 'low grade CRS/CBS' due to the coloration. So I felt clarification was necessary for the threads actual question. Honestly, we can spout off numbers and names all day and none of it matters, ask the source/breeder of the shrimp and try to match their parameters as closely as you can.
Yes ravens I agree it's all on what we personally feel look s good in our tank ;).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts