The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those are wild-type black bees - sweet :proud:! You must have a decent fish store in your area.

Hope you have a hood on that tank. Usually they just climb out if they don't like the water or are being hunted. Looks like you gotta watch those :icon_eek:.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I love the wild bees. I convinced an LFS to order some one time, then when they finally got them in, they were way too damn expensive so I didn't buy any. The dude that ordered them let me know he wasn't happy about that, but I let him know that at that he should tell people ahead of time when he's going to charge more than $10 per shrimp, unless they are Sulawesi's!

Seriously, though, nothing beats the natural coloration and patterning of the wild bees!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Very cool , very cool

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for lookin folks.

I think I agree with you on the look of this "wild type" church. The more I compare them to their cultivated relatives, the more I like these ones. Do you know if your LFS ordered more than 100 at a time, because if they did then even $10 should be a huge mark-up on their cost.

I'll hopefully have babies in a month or so.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
No, they definitely did not order more than a hundred. In fact, I only remember seeing about a couple dozen. He must not have thought that they are popular or something, so he probably just bought a handful of them at retail price, then marked up THAT price for some profit. His loss.

Funny story, though... about 3 or so months later, I was in there picking up some otos, and a guy came into the store and walked up to that very same employee, and asked if they ever got any of the freshwater shrimps like cherries or crystal reds, and the employee said "Nah, we tried getting some bees in here one time and they didn't sell."

When the employee walked away I went up to the dude and told him that I was the one who asked them to order the bees, but I didn't buy any when I found out they were selling them for $12 a piece, and then I basically referred him HERE, and told him to check the swap n shop for what he needs.

I often wonder if he ever came here and signed up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts