The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I had a discussion about our son's bedtime, and I am curious what time other people get their kids to bed. My son is 8 years old, has to get up at 6:45 for school, goes to the YMCA after school and takes Tae Kwon Do and plays soccer--gets home around 6 after my wife picks him up. My wife puts my son to bed at 8.

Just looking for an idea of what time you get your kids of similar age in bed.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Sounds about right to me... Maybe half an hour later in a year, then 9 pm when he is 12...

Not to bring this OT that early on, but... how long do you let your kids stay in bed on the weekends, when they don't have to get up? Seems like as they get older, they stay in bed longer, if I don't kick them out they will still be there past 10. :icon_roll

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
my parents were pretty lenient by the time I was in HS, I got to stay up till whenever I liked, but if I failed to wake up for school it was on me. Have to be a responsible kid for that to work though.

on weekends if there wasn't a project I was supposed to be helping dad on they let me sleep in till whenever I wanted on Sat. (Sun we had church)

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I don't have kids, but I think 8 is too early if he 's getting up at 6:45. 9 or 10 seems more realistic. Sending him to bed at 8 is forcing him to try to sleep for nearly 11 hours. Also, you're only seeing your kid 2 hours a day?

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
age 7 and 8- 8:30, though they are allowed to read for 15-30 minutes by themselves after we tuck them in.

The 14 yr old has to have his phone and xbox off/downstairs by 10pm (I wish it was earlier, but he is a teenager, lol).

When they are 9-11, its 930. 12 and up is 10 during the school week (again, they may read for a half hour or so after they are supposed to be in bed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well idk if this will help u that much but I am 12 and I regularly go to bed at 10 on week days and then on weekends pike 12-1 ik it's late but sleeping is boring but when I was 8 I went to bed at like 830 hope it helps

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
age 7 and 8- 8:30, though they are allowed to read for 15-30 minutes by themselves after we tuck them in.

The 14 yr old has to have his phone and xbox off/downstairs by 10pm (I wish it was earlier, but he is a teenager, lol).

When they are 9-11, its 930. 12 and up is 10 during the school week (again, they may read for a half hour or so after they are supposed to be in bed.

I really dig that policy of allowing 15-30 minutes to read.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If the kid goes to bed and falls asleep and doesn't wake up until he's woken in the morning, it's not exactly forcing him to sleep 11 hours a day. Kids need a lot of sleep, and very active kids need more.

YEAP agreed..

My son is out like a light when I put him to bed at 8:30 and when he wakes at 6:20 he is well rested.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The kids bedtime depended on many things. ;)

Pre 8th grade their classes didn't start until 9am and my wife took them all to school. No reason for them to need 12 hours of sleep.
My sons school starts at 7:30

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Sounds about right to me... Maybe half an hour later in a year, then 9 pm when he is 12...

Not to bring this OT that early on, but... how long do you let your kids stay in bed on the weekends, when they don't have to get up? Seems like as they get older, they stay in bed longer, if I don't kick them out they will still be there past 10. :icon_roll
What's wrong with sleeping till 10 on the weekend? I still do that, or even later, and I'm in my 40's!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.