The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave an Eheim 2028 on my 60p. Has a Hydor inline heater and a Sera Flore 500 CO2 reactor on the output side and 17mm lily pipes. I have been cleaning out my filter monthly and have changed out to coarser filter media and less of it trying to improve flow with really no improvement.

Anyone have some thoughts on how to increase my flowrate? I've considered getting a Koralia Nano 240 but am unsure where to place it, plus I pride myself on the aesthetic of not having any cables coming out of the tank. I've also considered buying a bigger canister but obviously I was a poor judge when I thought my 2028 would be more than enough flow.

Any other thoughts? I think my CO2 dispersion is suffering as I continue to slowly increase CO2 past yellow drop checker status but still fight BBA, so beginning to blame lack of flow.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Media compartment type filters annoy me...tis one of the reasons I got rid of my old Marineland canister. Lots of places for flow to be lost. Have you tried cleaning the impeller and impeller chamber well and lubricating the impeller shaft?

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Media compartment type filters annoy me...tis one of the reasons I got rid of my old Marineland canister. Lots of places for flow to be lost. Have you tried cleaning the impeller and impeller chamber well and lubricating the impeller shaft?
I thoroughly cleaned the impeller last time. I will try and lube it this month after I clean again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
are you running any polishing filter, as they will reduce your flow in very short time and need to be replace quite often, at least this is what I need to do on my Rena

Good luck

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you running any polishing filter, as they will reduce your flow in very short time and need to be replace quite often, at least this is what I need to do on my Rena

Good luck
I removed all the eheim filters from between the canister stages. Have a small, 1/4 tray piece of nylon polyfill for smaller stuff but everything else is coarse/bio.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I am using a 2026 pretty loaded up with media on my 60-P with in-line Hydor heater and UpAqua atomizer.

When the filter is clean and I use the open-ended outflow, I have to throttle back the filter to ~ 1/3, otherwise, plants start to uproot. When I switch to 13mm Lilly pipes I have to crank the filter back to max to get any kind of surface movement.

Given that, I'd switch to a different outflow to check if that makes a substantial difference.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I'd try the green outflow pipe that came with the filter without the spray bar

or this one

w/e you have available, just as a test.

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is a video I just took trying to show how much flow I have. Cleaned out the filter, removed what nylon filter floss I had in it. Cleaned impeller and internal tubing. Lubricated impeller shaft. Does it seem abnormally low? Yes, I have many microbubbles...reactor can't keep up with my CO2.

http://youtu.be/Tknjs_lpAlU

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is a video I just took trying to show how much flow I have. Cleaned out the filter, removed what nylon filter floss I had in it. Cleaned impeller and internal tubing. Lubricated impeller shaft. Does it seem abnormally low?

http://youtu.be/Tknjs_lpAlU
It doesn't seem to be extremely slow or anything like that to me. But, I really like having an inline Eheim pump that is adjustable after my 2028. I have a Coralife UV and a Hydor heater inline with mine and it really helps.

Yes, I have many microbubbles...reactor can't keep up with my CO2.
An extra inline pump will chew up many of the CO2 bubbles and help them to dissolve into the water.

Several weeks have gone by. Have you done anything to help your situation?

·
Surrounded by Blyxa
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife bought me an Eheim 2075 that has been running for a week and a half or so. Flow rate is nicely improved, and my CO2 diffusion has improved as well. The 2075 is running at maximum output. I have not had a chance to measure outflow of the 2028 without components inline to test and see what the result is now but I am not in too big of a hurry to do so, either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 2075 is an excellent solution to your problem! Its rated 330 gph is a nice improvement. I hope that it serves you well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts